Monday, December 10, 2018

Weekend Musings

Greg and I took Ty and his buddy to Santa's Workshop Saturday morning. The boys quickly descended upon the indoor snowball fight and we were hard pressed to direct them into any of the other offered activities. When coaxed away from pelting some high school volunteers with snowballs, they found their way to the cookie walk, of course. Two steps into the scavenger hunt the little stinkers not only informed me they had decided against a photo with Santa, "because he isn't the real one" but they found the key to the scavenger hunt and filled in all the answers. They were ready to return to the snowball fight. We invited that little friend to join our family for brunch afterward and he reported he wanted to be invited again next weekend.

On Friday I made the executive decision to pick up a helium tank after finding another location waived providing balloon service. Getting Ryan's annual birthday balloons has turned into more of chore than I care to give it, so I went to Walmart. I blew out my hair and put on clean clothes after spending the morning scrubbing bathrooms. And then the cashier was wearing a shower cap. Sometimes I overestimate what is required for decent presentation.

Greg and I spent Sunday afternoon removing fallen tree limbs from the school yard. It's been a month since an ice storm took them down and apparently the work order to have the district complete the task is buried on someone's desk. It felt good to do something for the place that does so much for our son. Of course for liability reasons, this was an opportunity to do something and ask forgiveness rather than permission. I was recently accused of using this motto a little too easily as my friend was convinced Greg would forgive me for bringing home a dog from the shelter. He is a good man, but I know where that boundary line is drawn. He does in fact have limits on grace extension. A new four legged family member is exactly across that line. As it turns out, white painted furniture is sitting dangerously close as well.

This holiday season, like the fourteen prior is a mix of joy for the magic experienced through the eyes of littles and the sadness of what should have been. By God's grace, most days are heavy on the joy and light. This week holds visits from someone tiny and new while her parents move into their new home and a special lunch with my son at school. I still get to read with elementary kids on Thursdays and have a countdown running in my head at all times until Austin arrives. (8 days)

We have had opportunities to serve those less fortunate presented in unique ways; clarifying that yes, we are called to answer those requests. As each year passes, the charity we seek in honor of Ryan's birthday creeps outside bringing joy to children and now edges into the more grown up world. This year homeless gentlemen followed by two young adults. Neither were on radar until they were. God works like that in my life.

Kate is demanding a schedule for baking and Greg is running reconnaissance for this year's Christmas light scavenger hunt. Apparently we have some celebrations to squeeze into an already full month. This is the joy.





No comments: