Monday, December 17, 2018

Honorary Family

Choosing to nominate Makenna as the adult in charge for our road trip was a wise decision. I sat in the back consuming a good book while she taunted her father with questionable music selections.
Ty looked at me as we were leaving the Baughman family Christmas and asked if Aunt Kristin was actually his aunt. And I explained she is one of several honorary aunts because she loves us unconditionally and has been a part of my life since long before his birth. And then we arrived at her home for dinner; a meal she and Chris prepared for us so we wouldn't have to grab fast food on the three hour drive home. Spending a few hours together after so many months was the decompression my heart needed that evening. The kids, Greg and I laughed more in that limited time at Kristin's than we had all day. Family extends beyond blood. Family is full of the people I choose and those who choose me, with all my flaws. I am blessed in the honorary family department and don't take that for granted. So to all my people, and you know who you are, thank you.



This past week my grandson found himself in timeout and couldn't believe it. That face! Good luck to his Momma!


Kate's winter concert Wednesday was full of holiday songs, most of which I had never heard. One brought tears to my eyes as it spoke of a winter lullaby for a baby who ultimately flies away from his mother's arms. It was beautiful.
And as we made our way out of the auditorium, she was hugged by former teachers, friends, parents of friends and I was struck by the encouragement and support she is creating in community for herself.

No comments: