Thursday, December 6, 2018

Bookcases


A lot of the Christmas decorations have been put away. That lasted eight days.  Apparently I have a low threshold for the madness this year. But once I started styling the bookcases and entertainment center, I couldn't bring myself to include additional clutter. I also reworked the mantle and am happy with the more simplified display.


I had been finished with Christmas shopping and wrapping prior to Thanksgiving but Greg and I decided one more small item was needed for one of the girls. I stood in line for 40 minutes Tuesday morning to pick it up after abandoning that same line Monday afternoon in order to meet my son's bus. The problem with this beyond the obvious is that it happened to be a line in front of a jewelry counter where I fell in love with a simple single pearl necklace. On impulse, I bought it and then asked my husband if he wanted to give it to me for Christmas. He shook his head in disbelief and declared I wasn't able to wear it before Christmas. Guess who is wrapping it too? He then asked if he could order his own Christmas gift, as if he wasn't aware I would have clearly handled that long before now. Makenna, upon hearing this exchange announced, "true love does exist."

Speaking of Makenna, she wanted homemade waffles this morning as Kate was leaving for school. She made a mock phone call to the middle school attendance line stating Kate would be late because she needed to make her breakfast. She went on to say she wanted an advance call when they planned to call me so she could record me handling the situation and then yelling at her because, "it would be funny". Somewhere along the line, I failed to scare that kid.

I met Kate with a spoon and an open container of ice cream after school Wednesday. The middle school years are tough. Fortunately, Ty was at a friend's house because she needed quiet time to process. And apparently ice cream wasn't enough because when I returned home Wednesday night from an appointment, she and Makenna were baking cookies together. Did I mention middle school was tough?

No comments: