Friday, April 29, 2022

Camp, Bathroom Humor and Rest



Last weekend, Ty attended a middle school church camp and had a blast. He ran non-stop, played hard, ate well and barely slept. He can't wait for his sixth grade camping trip with his classmates in a few weeks. 


While Ty was at camp, Kate spent the better part of the weekend with Grace so Greg and I enjoyed some quality time at home alone. We lounged on the deck and relaxed around routine errands. Even meals were laid back. I'm fairly certain these glimpses into our empty nest years are necessary. Whereas I love our time alone, I also lament the seasons with our kids flying by.

Our grandson called concerned he accidentally swallowed gum. Greg, without missing a beat, asked if he can now fart bubbles. This delighted Austin and cracked up his mother. This grandparent gig is the best, inappropriate humor and all.

Greg has a new partner at church. They are greeters together and she has embraced her "job" so fully, she will have a name tag next time. 

Ty and I started reading The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane together and are enjoying the story. It's been awhile since we last read a bedtime book. He recently renegotiated his electronic rules, "once testing is over, can I turn off games at nine instead of eight thirty?" You drive a hard bargain, buddy and you've got yourself a deal.

Monday Kate took my car to work and I took full advantage. She went with my grocery list, books that needed returned to the library and and my debit card for gas. She likes driving and I'd rather not spend the evening running all over town. I'm calling this a win. 


Years ago, when our floors were new and I was fighting the uphill battle of maintaining them, I asked a friend how she fought every speck of dust showing on her dark floors. She, being much wiser than me, informed me it was easy. "Don't open the blinds and you can't see the dirt." As hilarious as her advice may be, I won't ever follow it. I simply cannot get enough of this gorgeous natural light. 

The last two weeks were exhausting and so very long. We have fifteen school days remaining and I'm beyond ready to finish. Testing for nine days with squirrelly fourth graders depleted me and apparently my sweet younger friends too.....

Me too, Ava. Me too.

No comments: