Friday, May 6, 2022

Friends, Feathers and Flowers

Saturday mornings have become an opportunity for Greg and I to slip off to Aldi. He had the nerve to call it our regular date and decided it was spicing things up since we've branched out from Home Depot. We are living the dream. 




Kate helped me photograph Anna and Ava last weekend so I captured these sweet images too. I just can't get over how big all of them are getting. Hours later, she needed a breathing treatment. Sigh.


Ty carried Piper outside for some fresh air and exercise last weekend. He is still just as smitten with her as he was when he brought her home a year and a half ago. She has a big personality for such a tiny creature. 



Our momma bird has been sitting steady in the nest again which sent me on a search to learn more about her. She is a mourning dove and is expected to lay up to five sets of eggs this season. Her babies are fully independent within fifteen days of birth and then the process begins all over again. Dad isn't ever too far away and has been spotted carrying supplies into the nest throughout the day. I've grown quite fond of the little couple and appreciate the tiny home they've built near my porch swing. 
The Fabulous Five, as they often refer to themselves, have conspired to celebrate both Greg and me next weekend when Lauren breezes through town for a wedding. Just having my entire brood gathered around the table at the same time is Mother's Day celebration enough. I can't wait to hug them all.


I lamented aloud how much I have wanted to try the black raspberry sherbert at our local ice cream shoppe. The sign has captured my attention for a few years and yet, I've never tasted it. Erin stopped me hard with a firm command, "adulting sucks and has so few perks, why on earth have you not eaten the ice cream? After all, you could eat ice cream for breakfast if you wanted! Go get the ice cream!" And so I did. It was delicious. I did not have it for breakfast. 


Speaking of Erin, she wrapped up her first semester of grad school with a 3.84 GPA and is completely uncertain what she is going to do with herself until summer classes begin. Asking her to relax appears to be out of the question but she occasionally fakes attempts. 




Kristil came through the area on her final trip to the University of Dayton this week and spent the night with us. I took a day off work to enjoy brunch and an old bookstore with her before she tackled the final leg of her drive. We both managed to get a photo of the bookstore and some of our food but none together. We need to be better about this. I love any opportunity I get to spend quality time with one of my people. The day was delightful. 



It was teacher appreciation week and I was included. A student gifted me with these gorgeous strawberries. I believed they were too pretty to eat but was able to power through. They were as delicious as they were adorable. And then another student brought these sweet cakes. I'm certain I will eventually risk a migraine to sample them. 

Not everyone appreciates Kate's need to snuggle.

Kate's close friend lost her father to cancer last weekend and our girl is struggling hard.  We have had late bedtime snuggle sessions and so many tearful hugs. Her empathy toward K is painfully deep. Watching her grieve the silly dad who made her laugh every time she saw him is brutal. Life simply isn't fair. 


The boy requires a Dr. Pepper to get out the door every school morning. I am desperate as we embark upon the final few weeks and am apparently not above bribing him with a gas station treat on the way if we are on time. Clearly, he feels significant guilt over this.





Makenna and Noah traveled to Georgia this week to celebrate Noah's brother graduating from basic training. They worked in a few days in Myrtle Beach with Lauren, Taylor and Austin. I wish I was lounging by the ocean with them! Austin is having a blast and FaceTime calls are priceless as he jumps waves and digs in the sand. 


It's been a minute. Kate struggles with the fact we attended a middle school play to see this sweet face; a bit more grown up.

Almost ten years ago, I met Devyn. She, at eighteen months of age, pointed above my fireplace and said, "family." Sure enough, the letters for that sign remain to this day but my jaw dropped. Devyn could read almost anything and I continued to be stunned by her over the years as she spent her days with me. However, she was a timid little thing, often overwhelmed by the energy of my house and playtime that involved running, climbing and jumping. We literally had to teach her to be confident enough to walk down a step. Fast forward to tonight and Devyn took the stage for the first time as "that Grace" in the play Junie B. Jones. She was enthusiastic and clearly enjoyed herself. I am so proud of her. 


No comments: