Thursday, May 9, 2019

Garden

When I asked him to get me a truckload of topsoil, he questioned, "I thought we weren't planting a garden this year?". We weren't until Anna asked to help me plant one. Anna doesn't live here but apparently has some authority. Ty then suggested a pumpkin patch. So here we are. Pumpkin seeds have been planted alongside some bug repelling flowers and a few herbs. My helpers were adorable and none of them offered to return for weeding. Again Greg asked, "I thought we weren't planting a garden this year?"


Friday night, Greg and I slipped over to our local Beef O'Brady's for a cheap date. We then stopped in Walgreens for my cop-out Floyd County third grade project poster. I had Walgreens print it with photos my neighbor took of the boys at the local ice cream stand for lunch. I spent five dollars and less than five minutes while my friends were at Home Depot and the craft store purchasing items to create models of their child's selected landmark. Projects in May get Walgreens effort in my world. Teachers aren't the only ones checking boxes these days. Anyway, I picked up Mother's Day cards for Greg's mom and mine and casually mentioned Greg didn't need to purchase one for me again this year. I know it's a panic moment for him when he realizes it's Mother's Day and frankly would prefer to take the $5+ and get a chai tea away from my people than read a card he chose on the fly. But while we were there, I was trying to find the perfect third greeting card and he questioned me. It's for a woman at church who never had children but spends her life serving kids. I feel like that needs recognized. He laughed, "you are something else".  I am going to assume he meant it as a compliment. It was date night after all.

Ty took flowers with handwritten notes to his teachers this week. I told him to count on hugs and he smirked, "I know moms and teachers like flowers". I told him I was hoping he would remember this so his future wife likes me and mentioned he might want to tell his dad about how much moms like flowers too. He giggled appropriately. I buy my own flowers and everyone knows it.

The tree Ty planted on Easter Sunday is blooming beautifully. He is still caring for it and proud of the way it's growing.

Other than a deep wrestling match I am having with God about prayer, life is full and loud and typical of May. I am hanging on. We all are. As the school year ends and I say goodbye to the teachers I now consider friends, I may wish for more time but in truth, I am overall just relieved June is coming.

No comments: