Sunday, December 29, 2013

This Weekend


I am sure I have alluded to this fact in the past but it seems worth noting again. Raising teens alongside younger children is not for the weak of heart. There are countless opportunities for discussions about how we may have stated something differently or how we could have avoided certain situations altogether had a little filtering been engaged. Yesterday morning Erin loudly announced she was having her first period in over four months. Whereas she was celebrating on one hand, well....it's still a period and all women everywhere know that is less than remarkable generally speaking. (Yes, we have been utilizing medical intervention for Erin's ongoing issues should anyone be concerned for her). But Kate was sitting with me during the announcement and immediately asked, "what's a period?". I shot Erin the look and very slowly began an explanation for Kate. She is a young and naive eight year old. "You see Honey, as your body transitions from a little girl into a young lady........" This is the point where Erin jumped in and declared, "the next thing you know, Mom, Kenna, Lauren and I are arguing about tampon brands in the middle of the grocery store!" Erin was dismissed only to have Makenna arrive on the scene in time to hear me tell Kate periods don't hurt even though there is blood. Makenna took that opportunity to double over, dramatically hold her gut and scream in agony that it is like death. I took a very deep breath and told Kate periods are punctuation marks at the end of sentences and we'd talk in private later about the other kind. Seriously.

Ty was at that particular moment in time out because he insisted on a snack of crackers and cheese. Easy enough, or so I thought. As it turns out, he wanted the cheese that was meant to be cheese. I have no clue. He lost composure and I lost patience. Does anyone ever wonder why I look tired?

My parents gave Ty the movie Despicable Me 2 for Christmas. We watched it last night, hysterically laughing as a family. It was entertaining but I am concerned the creators are not likely sober people. 

Greg and I slipped away for a lunch date today. It was our last date of 2013 and the first time this month we've spoken in complete sentences. I am ready for UPS to give me back my husband. It was a long peak season; to say the least. For those who know us well, yes we did go to Meijer and the Home Depot. We are predicable and pretty low maintenance. We also enjoyed using a gift card to the Longhorn Steakhouse given to Greg from his new boss. It was appreciated.

Kate completed her first sewing project this weekend. She loves her little sewing machine and has big plans for it's future.



We are looking forward to a relaxing week ahead. Greg will have a few days off, praise the Lord and I only babysit two days. All four of our daughters have social plans for New Year's Eve so Greg, Ty and I are planning an early bedtime and a quiet entrance into 2014.

1 comment:

A Mom to Two Lil' Ones said...

Tell Kate I love her new blanket that she made and am so very proud of her!!!
This post had me rolling - I love your daughters, they crack me up and I so understand the "cheese" issue ;)
PS. you need to branch out from Home Depot on date nights, spice things up a bit - maybe Bed, Bath and Beyond next time...