Friday, May 19, 2023

Week Twenty


Austin loves surprises and could not wait to decorate the house for Aunt Kate's birthday while she was at school. 

Hagan's family joined us for Kate's birthday dinner. We loved exchanging stories and laughing together. The fact this is what Hagan and Kate also wanted for their prom dinner says a lot about how much they like being around all of us. PS. The moms collectively decided they needed to go to dinner with friends on their prom night.




Her graduation theme is, "she's ready to soar" and the birthday bracelet landed at the perfect time.



She's becoming a regular country concert groupie. This one was a couple of song writers explaining the back story to songs they've written and then performing them. She loved the low-key pace and atmosphere.

This week we celebrated a milestone birthday for Kate. How on earth she is eighteen is beyond me. I guess I blinked. We had a date for a photo, lunch and shopping together Saturday to connect and catch up on all the big life moments she is processing right now. She has prom this weekend and graduates in two more weeks. All her senior projects have impacted her in ways she didn't anticipate. Capturing final thoughts about her life up to this point has been a bit emotional. We are so proud of the young woman she is becoming.

Mother's Day was a loud affair. It usually is. My brood is anything but dignified and subdued. I absolutely could not contain my laughter when I opened the gorgeous package surrounded by flowers......




Makenna said, "oh! Wear it over your dress! It perfectly matches Erin's complexion!"




Our grandson met our neighbor. Within mere minutes of their acquaintance, he was on the ground demonstrating a seizure like his dog had. Lauren, with as straight a face as she could muster, explained he was processing a lot. I can't tell this story without howling with laughter. Thank God our neighbor is wonderful and adores children.

Oh you know, just watching Nat Geo with Austin. This episode about the wild cats in India clearly captured his full attention. Google lens insists Diesel is a Rhodesian Ridgeback which happens to be a breed initially used to hunt Lions. This doesn't fair well for living in peace with Oliver. 

Both boys try to steal our bed in the evening. Both remain disappointed every time. But it's a sweet little ritual none the less. 

My work week was challenging in ways unanticipated but there were redeeming moments with students. There always is. I watched my kiddos from last year graduate from elementary school and oozed with pride. I can't help but want to bubble wrap a few of the more tender hearts. I pray middle school is as kind as middle school can be to my young friends.

Sarcasm for me is like a pressure relief valve. It keeps my head from exploding.


A close friend became a grandma this week. It seems impossible I wasn't *just* at the hospital meeting his daddy. Time flies when our babies are involved.

My favorite human and I went on a little adventure after school today. He loved using his new boots to explore. I loved watching him more. 





No comments: