Friday, May 12, 2023

Week Nineteen

In recent weeks, I've repeatedly stated I would like to write the ending to hard stories for people I love. If only I could fill the gaps with redemption, compassion and grace, then perhaps the current pain would be bearable; possibly even worthwhile. 

Sunday, Greg and I trekked to church after a significant storm system blew through. We routed around downed trees and navigated debris in the road after preparing for church without power in our home. We arrived just in time for a message on the book of Job. My heart always skips a beat at the mention of this particular book in the Bible because the narrative between God and Satan leaves me questioning and struggling every time. I seriously wanted to creep downstairs to serve in pre-k where my spiritual maturity is likely better matched. I am pretty good at loving on littles. Accepting God allows suffering for what appears on the surface to be no reason, is not my area of expertise. 

I love redemption stories. The idea any horrible thing can be used for a greater good speaks to me. So in the aftermath of trauma, loss or grief, I watch for the God-wink; the part that says, "see, I've got this."

A daughter is in intense pain and we are in a station of support but have no control. As much as we seek restoration and health in this situation, we are unable to write that story. And oh how I wish I could. Prayer time during communion literally pointed out how strongly we want to write our own stories and how little we know about what God has planned. I've prayed for my version of a fairy tale ending and God peacefully told me once again to stand down. "We must trust GOD, not only WHEN we do not understand, but BECAUSE we do not understand." Dr. Stephen Lawson

She loved the Derby

None of us can get enough snuggles.

Miss Louisville

He likes "fast yoga and Mimi likes slow yoga."
When Aunt Kate and Hagan take him out, shenanigans are guaranteed. As it turns out, treats are too.




Monday evening, a bird flew into our sliding glass door during dinner and broke it's neck. Austin and I saw the little thing take it's final breaths and he was pretty torn up about it. He wished it's mommy had been there to fix it. He wished he'd been out there sooner so he could have saved it. He wished he could have kept it. I calmly explained it could not be kept and we needed to dispose of it. That did not go over well. Thank God his mom arrived within about ten minutes of the drama because Mimi worried she was going to say something wrong; more wrong than suggesting we needed to throw it away. Yes. I did that. I won't make that mistake again. It took quite a bit of convincing, but ultimately the dirt pile in the construction area behind our house became the bird's final resting place. 


I had the cutest lunch date today while his mommy had an appointment. After lunch, he shook down the librarian for Pokemon books.

Rumor has it he was running around to avoid a shower so Pops put him with the trash like the other rotten things.
Lauren and I had a float appointment after work today. She enjoyed it as much as I do. We agreed the other girls would hate an hour and a half of silence. It's a mom thing. They simply wouldn't understand.

No comments: