Sunday, August 26, 2018

Life as we know it

I took the girls to the dentist Friday, just like I did six months ago. Like clockwork, we work all of us through the semi-annual routine cleanings. However, just as I was making the girls' next appointment in February, it occurred to me Ty was not on the calendar with Greg in October. So I asked when he was due. He was last seen in July 2017. Awesome. We are winning at this parenting gig. No one tell Erin. Please. She will freak out. I looked at the receptionist and announced he was the fifth kid. I choose to assume they were laughing with me and not at me. Then our hygienist recalled Greg had been bringing Ty and when they made his follow-up appointments, Greg would make his own but tell them I would call back to make Ty's. You see, I am the person in charge of all the things around here. This transition into me finding out who I am going to be when I grow up may be painful and colorful in ways I fail to anticipate. If I am not home to take care of the aforementioned all the things, who will? Ty is by the way, seeing the dentist next week.

We took the kids to see our favorite football player Saturday. The weather was perfect and it was fun to surprise Benjamin. He and his big brother, Greyson are on the same team which made it nice to interact with both boys for a bit afterward. But as the team was taking the field, I asked what number was on his jersey and Greg immediately pointed him out. "He has to be number six. Look at those shoes. Only Benjamin would choose those shoes." He was not wrong. We love this boy and his unique style.



Greg and I slipped away for breakfast Saturday morning because he had an audit and we barely spoke last week as result. We are planning our twenty-fifth wedding anniversary trip next year and wanted some time to determine a destination and figure out who might want to run our crazy home while we hide away together. And then we started dreaming of our empty nest which is totally normal with a nine year old in the house, right? A bonfire and smores wrapped our day beautifully. 




On the way to church Sunday, a brother bopped a sister upside her head with his bible and she declared people don't hit with bibles which triggered a conversation about the longevity of old school bible thumping. On the way home, we discussed rap music and artists. And then Erin discussed the appropriate reasons one can indulge in recently re-discovered coconut almond chip ice cream. In her mind, only high rated celebrations are worthy. I accidentally located it in a quiet aisle in Kroger where I had pulled over to double check my list and happened to see it. "We may plan our way but the Lord guides our steps" Erin Gabrielle Baughman. We are an eclectic group, to say the very least.


This afternoon we all went out for ice cream; preserving the above mentioned of course. And afterward the girls and I went shopping. It was a Sunday well spent. This evening though, I pulled out the vacuum to deal with ceiling fan blades. Can someone explain to me how something in constant motion accrues so much dust? Anyway, it was during this grand adventure, I broke my Dyson. It is at the curb level of broken and I am a little distraught. Greg laughed and held a family funeral. He won't be laughing when he realizes what we will spend to replace it. The Dyson withstood a tumble down the stairs ten years ago that cost us a ceramic floor, fifteen years of long hair and insane levels of pet shedding. It was the only vacuum to stand up to our level of filth beyond two years; may she rest in peace.

We are planning for a very full week ahead and I am counting down to Saturday when I can decorate and snag my first pumpkin spice chai tea latte. It's an indulgence I preserve for this season and I cannot wait; fall is my absolute favorite time of year.

No comments: