Sunday, June 24, 2018

Dancing in the Rain

On Monday we had Kate tested for asthma. When I learned they expected a down payment of $1159 for that testing, I also looked like I could use an inhaler. On Friday, I was prescribed my first pair of glasses. Our vision coverage has changed and the sticker price of said glasses was $591. Greg randomly sent an "I love you" text as I wrapped up swiping my debit card and I responded, "I hope so". He demanded to know if they were solid gold or X-ray vision. As it turns out, they are just regular old lady glasses. Today, Greg broke the tooth he had a root canal done on last fall eating popcorn, or as he likes to say, "Satan's popcorn". He needs an oral surgeon and at least a day off work to fix that. If Erin weren't living here and being bossy, I think Greg would have already taken pliers to those broken pieces and resumed life as usual.

In the meantime, life goes on. We are in the throws of big decisions because large families are always making those and enjoying little moments where we can. Ty scored a gigantic light saber contraption he can reconstruct in several ways at Toys R Us' final days sale. An otherwise $60 lightsaber was $11.99 and it brought great joy to the boy so we indulged. I am sad to see toys stores becoming obsolete despite the fact I haven't entered one for Christmas shopping in years. Amazon is likely going to conquer the world someday and I appear to be more than willing to allow that to happen as I go there before anywhere else for all.the.things.

Our grandson continues to be the cutest kid on the planet and photos like this make nine hour drives seem reasonable at anytime.  Man I miss that baby (and his parents too).

Friends from Texas were in town for the week and we stole as many opportunities to spend time with them as possible. Some pretty sweet memories were made and we are already making plans to all gather again in the next year.

Makenna managed the Newsies relaunch this week after a major setback with the fire at the Kentucky Center for the Arts. They relocated back to the high school and added a performance to accommodate the large crowds. Three packed auditoriums wrapped in time to load two semis with the set so they can leave for The International Thespian Festival in Lincoln, Nebraska today. At one point this week Greg asked if Makenna still lived here. I had seen traces of her but the hours she held the last few weeks were intense. We are more than ready to see high school theatre behind her. We happen to like that kid and miss her around here.

Back to school supply lists are making their way into my inbox. Third grade is requesting among many other ridiculous things, four dozen pencils. And I laughed. I am fairly certain my son wouldn't use four pencils all year if he had his way. But Target is clearancing all things summer and fun to make room for back to school. We re-enter the school scene in a few short weeks whether we are ready or not. We are not.

Speaking of back to school, Erin is planning to return to college this fall. She has decided to embrace this season of changed plans as an opportunity to push herself out of her comfort zone. She is excited to have the time and is taking her current career into a slightly different direction over time. Having a front row seat the process of God at work in her life is an honor.

So we may not be seeing plans pan out the way we wanted or had answers as clear as we would have liked but we are still dancing through another rainy season and celebrating little moments. As it turns out, that is the overriding theme for our journey anyway.




No comments: