Saturday, December 16, 2023

Week Fifty

Grinch day and a quick moment for Lauren to hug her boy. His father is in town for eleven days. This is the first Lauren has had to let her child leave for an extended period. This is tough. So tough. 

I had this guy back to the doctor for an ongoing double ear infection. He was able to have his ears flushed and both he and the doctor laughed clear through the messy process. In the end, he exclaimed, "Oh my gosh, I can hear! It's so loud!"

I was recently reminded how easy it is to slip into a negative mindset when surrounded by those who are not easily impressed. I never want to miss the beauty of sunrise or way light glistens off morning frost. I want to always notice the leaves blowing in a gentle breeze. I will continue to appreciate food made with hands who serve and cherish the hugs of anyone offering. Life is beautiful if we have eyes that see. May mine remain open. I want to always be awed. I have the honor of mentoring a troubled young man at school and complexity of his life never ceases to amaze me. He is brilliant, just unable to conform. His life is one battered by complicated adults and mental health. I love him. Hearing his fascination with our world makes me see with fresh eyes. There really is beauty in the mess. I pray my eyes are always open.

We celebrated two birthdays this past weekend. Ava "Bear" is now 8 and one of my most favorite people. We took a road trip to Bloomington to surprise her during her party. Goodness I miss her family. And then Sunday, we met Matt and Kristil in Louisville for a Cuban lunch on their way back through town to Cleveland. We should have grabbed a photo but we would have had to stop eating and laughing in order to make that happen. Also, we are all old and forgetful.




This wild week ended in celebration for the one who decided two months ago she wanted to graduate, sell her condo, buy a house and get married by this weekend in the busiest month of the year. Apparently she thrives under pressure because she wrapped the semester with a 4.0 and graduated with highest honors. Seriously, this girl is unstoppable.


Mom and Dad drove into town today to attend both the graduation but also the wedding. It is going to be a wild weekend full of people who are thrilled to be a part of celebrating Erin. 

Under this dog is a pillow I would like to keep in good shape. He knows this.



No comments: