Friday, December 29, 2023

Week Fifty-Two

 

My parents recorded themselves reading The Night Before Christmas years ago for Kate and Ty. I've obviously held onto the Hallmark book for years. This weekend I surprised Austin with it. He, of course, had to know how it worked but was delighted as well.

Greg and I said words that aren't blog friendly as we assembled this. 

Lauren has wanted a dalmatian since she was three and cried when she bought him on Saturday. Austin was so surprised and quite happy with his mommy's wild purchase.








The reindeer food had a hilarious ending. I mentioned including the magic flying dust. Before anyone could react, Austin shoved a whole spoonful into his mouth. It was all purpose flour. He froze with a wide, open mouth while I laughed until tears ran down my face. Plot twist, he didn't fly.



He was delighted to have snagged my glasses as we took a quiet moment on the porch together. Christmas overwhelms his Mimi. Sometimes he needs a break too.

Another day, another hot cocoa bomb. 



Reading his keychain. 


His needs are so simple. He was disappointed we couldn't shop for another family this year. It wasn't in the budget but he eagerly accepted Little Debbie snack cakes and two inexpensive gifts as his Christmas. He didn't want the mess of Christmas decorations and passed on joining the girls at Lauren's Christmas morning. He is his mother's child.

He loves this thing. He made popcorn five times the first twenty-four hours.

I bought one of these for each of my children.

Reading her keychain......


For as magical as Christmas can appear in photographs and sometimes even in our memories, it's simply not my favorite. This year in particular, while a friend held her newborn in the NICU throughout the week of Christmas and all those memories from twenty years ago came flooding back, I tapped out. Despite not baking, shopping or decorating, it still felt like too much. It was too much. The traditional Christmas Eve dinner, Christmas morning breakfast and Christmas Day dinner and each was met with people rushing in and out rather than connecting. By 9 am on Christmas Day, we were alone and I declared it the final time I do it. I simply can't keep trying to make the memories for others at the expense of my own peace. At this point, I just want to insure my parents have a Christmas option because it matters to them. Maybe next year the girls can host their grandparents while I'm on a beach somewhere.
"Santa" gave us $100 and insisted we get out of the house to do something fun so we took Ty to the Corvette Museum in Bowling Green for a day. He wants to return when he is old enough for the driving experience. His dad wants in on that too. 


I've often joked about sitting around eating bon bons but had actually never had them. My sister gifted me some a few weeks ago and I finally opened them with a cup of tea this week and sampled them in the quiet of my bed with a good book. Let's just say this will no longer be a joke. They were that good.

I showed up for my massage on Thursday and was met with the sweet news someone had paid for it in advance. Someone else slipped cash into Erin's wedding card box for us. The year has been tough and those generous gestures mean a lot to me. 

No comments: