Friday, September 1, 2023

Week Thirty-five

Saturday I delivered Austin to Erin so she and Evan could take him to the zoo. Austin is very focused on Evan becoming his uncle and can't wait for the wedding to give him the title. They bought him ice cream, a donut and a stuffed Eagle. He says it was the best day ever. They've spoiled future trips where the zoo is the outing. Lauren and I appreciate that. Insert eye roll here.

While they were out, I spent the day alone in Louisville. It had been so long since I was last in a mall, I had no idea Sears was now Top Golf. Things change every where, I guess. But I wandered and touched things I didn't buy and ultimately ended up at Trader Joe's for veggies and grain free snacks. It was a beautiful morning of solitude. 

The week exposed some feelings of frustration toward coworkers who fail to extend grace. It's tough for me to see people unable to tolerate the most vulnerable among us. But I was there to hug a tearful new friend in a moment of exhaustion and got to bond with a child believed most difficult. I think we might be buddies now. And in the end, despite the chaos of my both my personal life and work world, there is hope and light. 

Coworkers gifted fresh tomatoes and both Lauren and I thoroughly enjoyed them. Greg and I slipped out to Costco after work one night and I'm grateful he drove. Rush hour traffic isn't for the anxious. And then this evening, we finished our errands for the weekend so we can rest a bit this Labor Day. 

Austin saw the doctor for a giant blister covering the top half of his thumb. The school nurse called after it burst in her office to report obvious infection and concern it would need drained. He came home in a bandaid and with sticker for being brave. The doctor opted to start antibiotics and watching it rather than subject him to a painful procedure.  We have no idea what started the blister in the first place. However, as Austin described the moment it burst, my eyes filled with tears so it was determined that Mimi is not tough enough to assist with the appointment. I handle this stuff better as a mom than I do as a Mimi. 

I battled two migraines this week and the second one left me depleted and sad. I've had a pretty good run of pain free weeks so the sudden change is discouraging. 

Greg advertised pulled pork on Instagram....

We dined on the patio several times this week and opened windows to freshen the air in our home. The cool front was not only welcomed, but celebrated.


This dog and his drool are both insane. To his credit, the steak was that good.

Lauren and Kate signed a lease on a home in the area. They are moving in a couple of weeks. I'm having some feelings. Today I wore my, "It's fine. I'm fine. Everything is fine" tee shirt. It was a wardrobe toss up between it and the, "Nope. Not today." tee shirt. Some weeks just need wrapped up with humor. This was absolutely one of them.

1 comment:

Jen Slater said...

Sending big hugs. I want the nope not today shirt.