Sunday, October 10, 2021

Fall Break Start

It's been a week and I'm still basking in the glow of simple miracles. Last weekend was amazing. We moved Makenna around a fall parade route and heavy rain forecast without incident. We then squeezed in a quick, private wedding between rain showers. On Monday, a teacher asked me to pray the rain held off until we managed a recess for one hundred squirrelly fourth graders and I laughed, "I am pretty sure that request is not one I'm allowed to make for a significant period of time." I've decided to just be grateful for what I was given. Amen. 


I spent my week as substitute teacher for a fourth grade teacher out with covid. After eight days in her classroom, I was pretty comfortable with the role. Monday morning though, I hit a post-move and wedding wall. My head was heavy, my eyes were wanting to shut and my tongue was thick. I was so tired I could have laid down right there and napped. I knew better than to let anyone know because fourth graders sense weakness, so I had the entire class stretch and move because, "you guys spend a lot of time in front of the chrome books and need to wake your bodies up." It worked but it was the kind of day I wished I'd packed an emergency Coke. 

Anne gave me flowers for my birthday and as the larger blooms wilted, I reworked the bouquet into a smaller jar and loved the little arrangement as much as the original. 

Some of my students approached another teacher with a few of his students and asked him if he has ever had covid. He let them know it was a personal question they weren't actually supposed to ask but answered that he had not. The giggly girls all but suggested he should go ahead and get it then because Mrs. Baughman is a great substitute teacher. I failed to maintain my poker face as I watched him process what they said. Kids are hilarious. And brutal.

By the end of the week, a debate broke out as a few students argued over who was my favorite. I assured them I didn't have a favorite because I didn't actually like any of them. Fourth grade is a good time because you can joke around with students and they understand. 

Grace is improving and was able to simulate walking in therapy this week. She and Kate spent two evenings together and it was so good for both of them to get out and about despite the wheelchair and stress it puts on Grace.


Kate started Fall Break without us last week and spent it babysitting for a couple families. She squeezed in a festival and football game too. She still has a little chest pain remaining in her lower left lung but has otherwise fully recovered from pneumonia. 

Greg and I slipped away for a mandatory checkup in Dayton connected to his accident twenty-one years ago. We decided to make a day of the six hour round-trip and call it a date. Things are getting desperate around here, folks. Anyway, after the three hour drive, an old man wearing sweatpants with a polo shirt and honest to goodness walking with support from a waker "evaluated" Greg's overall mental health in fifteen minutes. Welcome to the incredible efficiency of the state of Ohio and their Worker's Compensation system. This is why we gave up and started paying for treatment out of pocket years ago. It's absolutely not worth the hassle of keeping up with box checking. However, that being said, we actually had a great day. We drove an alternate route home along some gorgeous back roads and talked for hours. It ended up being worth the trip for the connecting we accomplished. 

His house is finished minus shattered appliances the builder is scrambling to replace before closing this week. We are so excited for Lauren and Taylor and can't wait to visit in a few months. 



The weekend was relaxing and we realized we went an entire week without putting out fires in our family. This is big. We ate dinners on the patio and enjoyed lengthy conversations with our kids. Fall break has been successfully kick-started. 

No comments: