Saturday, December 19, 2020

Scavenger Hunts


Ty has finally embraced hair product and his mother heard the hallelujah choir sing in celebration. Of course he wasn't wearing any for this quick snapshot, but knowing he will no longer look like Moe from the Three Stooges in public is a win.


On Monday, I left each child a note before heading to work. One was told to remember this is the end of the semester, not the end of the world and to keep perspective in final classes. The other listed two study guides that must be understood before I got home from work because grades DO matter. I signed both with a heart.


Our son was permitted to take an open book chapter test and still managed to bomb it. Big time. When pressed for an explanation, he emphatically pointed out the questions lacked page numbers for locating the answers. Greg and I have decided someone more qualified than us should be raising him. 



 

In kindergarten, my friends work on a new  book each week with their grown-ups before reading to me once they feel as though they've mastered it. Given our virtual status, we have waived the first part and have allowed anyone who wants to, read with me in the mornings. They love the one-on-one attention so I never have a lack of volunteers. This week's story was a repetitive and fairly cute story about Rudolph's nose. One feisty and I am not above admitting, favorite little guy was half way through the book when he looked me dead in the eye and declared, "this is ridiculous". I failed to contain my laughter. 


A fourth grade student I have been working with in reading groups sent me a thank you note in a Christmas card. "Teaching on Google meets is hard but you are doing a pretty good job." She made my day.

Thursday, Ms. Neumann and I spent four hours driving door-to-door delivering gifts to our kindergarten friends. We were able to see eighteen of them in person and we treasured every encounter. The kids were excited and a little stunned to see their teachers on their porches so we experienced some shyness. Overall, we felt like celebrities and are grateful the parents allowed the visits. The handmade Christmas cards were adorable. I feel loved.




We have a few kiddos who attend school virtually from daycare. It is challenging for those friends to fully participate in some of the fun activities we have planned in class. One Grinch scavenger hunt in particular was proving to be too much so those friends got to log into my classroom and chat for awhile instead. After we discussed all the silly things their elves were doing at home and what they planned to do over winter break, I told them about our annual Christmas light scavenger hunt and asked if they'd seen any fun light exhibits. One ornery little man was very excited to tell me about the Santa doing the floss. "Go to the big store. Take a right and then a left and it will be right there." I pressed for some more information about which big store he may have been referring and he very firmly included an obvious detail, "the one that sells Christmas shirts." 


In Aldi on Saturday, a couple of older gentlemen were bickering over their produce selections and I happened to catch the eye of the younger brother who made a sarcastic comment that made me laugh. Half way down the aisle, a little girl in that man's cart tapped on my arm to get my attention. "I like your laugh." The rate in which I hear comments about my boisterous laugh should embarrass me. It doesn't. 


Tonight was our traditional virtual scavenger hunt with one local family and another one in Texas. We created the virtual night of connecting when the Edwards moved to Texas in 2017, long before 2020 mandated it for everyone else. #trendsetters. 


No comments: