Sunday, February 10, 2019

Counting Blessings

Monday was not an easy day to be the mom in my house. As result, it wasn't much fun to be a kid around here either. Attitudes needed adjusted and for the first time in a long, long time mine wasn't top of the list. So in counting my blessings and giving thanks on the most trying of days, I praise Him for fresh starts; new beginnings. Apologies and lessons learned. The weight of my son's head on my lap during bedtime reading as he sought restoration and the running of my fingers through his hair as I calmed my spirit; the soothing of my soul after a frenzied day. God is good. Especially on the hard days.

We revisited spiritual gifts surveys at church this week and that on top of our class a few weeks ago has me suspicious God is up to something in our life. As I shared the direction I fear we are being called, Greg did not cower in a corner so we'll see where He leads us. Perhaps it won't involve kicking and screaming but time will tell.


The results of having all electronic devices banned until further notice has yielded only positive results. The decision to reintroduce his coveted favorites will not be easy as he is exploring new skills, creatively playing and reading more. A settled spirit being the most obvious change. I stand firm in my belief the impact of electronics on the developing brain is far more negative than we acknowledge. The battle is great as even the school insists he needs daily log-in.
On Saturday, our anxious Kate requested a day out together. Makenna and Noah joined us as we walked through the shops downtown and then enjoyed a sweet snack with tea at Panera, one of her favorites. I wish we'd taken the first available surgery date for her peace of mind but needed time to make arrangements for the remaining family.

Greg left this morning for Michigan and Kate had youth group after church so I stole away for a lunch date with my little man who has his eye on his dad's side of the bed tonight. He believes he is sweetening the deal with promises of a Lego movie on Netflix. Not only is he stealthily seeking electronic entertainment, but Lego movies aren't exactly my jam. But given the brutal case of insomnia that has had me awake since midnight, it won't take much for me cave.

Lauren had 14 inches cut off her hair this week and the results are so cute! Her little man turned 11 months old and that reality is shocking. Time flies when you are having fun they say and I cannot recall a season that has been more fun to observe. This baby literally has my heart.





No comments: