Sunday, October 21, 2018

Surprised Myself


I am a structured person who thrives on routine so I was concerned when I "retired" how I would navigate my days. I assumed I would quickly fill a role somewhere once I figured out who I was going to be when I grew up. I have surprised myself. I realized I was on a strict schedule because I had to be to meet the demands on my time. I am at peace and feel relaxed toward housework, meal plans and schedules for the first time in my life. If I feel like reading, I read. If I want to scout a photography location, I do that. My errands are leisurely and my creative energy is being fed by my photography. I am living my best life right now. I am so relaxed I sent Greg and Makenna to a car dealership to negotiate a new to her car and silenced my phone while I enjoyed a massage. In previous seasons, I would have canceled my massage to take care of the car shopping because Makenna "needed" me. This has been a relief to me and lessons learned for my family. As it turns out, I don't have to be all the things to all the people.


I have had my calendar fill up much faster than I anticipated with photography appointments and I couldn't be more thrilled. This business is exactly what my soul needs right now. I get to play with kiddos and then go home. And the best part? This affords me time to volunteer in areas I am drawn within the community and at the school. It's nice to check in with my kids after school each day and really hear them after placing other families so high on the priority list for the last two decades. Not being pulled in numerous directions at all times is dream come true. I am certainly blessed.



Of course Lauren and Taylor have me beat at the moment. While I was ordering snow boots, they were picking up beach chairs. Since they had a week to kill before they gained access to their house in Texas, they stopped over on Galveston Island for a few days. Austin loves the water almost as much as their dogs. All their pictures and updates leave me craving time on the beach with them. Her mother-in-law has been scouting beach houses and we are threatening to spend a Christmas there soon as a group.


Greg finished the pallet project this weekend and we both love the results.


Oh! That car dealership visit was fruitful. Not having heat and defrost on the Cobalt proved to be the final straw on her original little money pit. She is delighted with her purchase. And while we are on the topic of new to Makenna, she has a boyfriend now. He seems pretty sweet and has a lot of ambition which happens to be a nice change of pace.

No comments: