Monday, October 8, 2018

Living the Dream

Two hours into my drive, my car started acting up again. It made for a very stressful drive through the mountains and in traffic. The car wanted to keep moving. Stopping was fine too; however, starting up again is where we had trouble. It stalled. Every time. I narrowly missed being rear ended and had to take surface streets to avoid long delays on the highway where I was more likely to be hit. Our nine hour drive home turned into a fifteen hour drive home. My stress level was off the charts at moments. However, I had a lot of talks with God and even laughingly asked my Grandma if she had any pull up there for her birthday. At that moment, I took note of where I was. I was on back roads in the mountains of North Carolina on a gorgeous day in October. This would typically be a dream come true for me and I felt reminded of that and took a deep breath. So whereas this was not ideal, we are home safe, the car has an appointment with the shop on Tuesday and the repair should be covered under warranty.  And since I needed a place to stop in order to avoid rush hour through Lexington and Louisville, I got to have cheesecake with my mom and sister in honor of Grandma's birthday Friday. It's all good.
But this boy. Lord help me. Four hours into the stressful drive with all the car trouble, maps being updated to avoid stopped traffic on the highway and silence in the car because I needed to pay attention to every sound, the boy noted we might be having trouble with the car. I have no words.
On Sunday, we attended a picnic with our church family where Ty was invited to join a game of kickball. Ty confessed he'd never played before so he was immediately nominated as team captain on a team of adults. We were more than a little amused as we watched our team captain do the floss on the field. At one point, his Sunday school teacher tagged him out and his wife marched out to the field to lecture him for it. We roared with laughter. It was a good time.




Greg took the kids on a little adventure. He called it dumpster diving and returned home with two giant pallets. He and Kate set to work immediately staining the boards. Greg wants to make the boards look like barn wood on the wall behind our bed. I think it will look pretty cool and anytime he includes the kids in a project, I am all in.

We had our sliding glass door replaced today. The old door had bad rollers and was near impossible to open. I spent months reaching out to any lead I could trying to find replacement parts but to no avail. The door was a custom size and of course was manufactured with a company that has been out of business for ten years. This was a sizable investment I didn't love making. But we can now open our door without throwing out a shoulder so I suppose it was a wise investment after all.  During said process, the dining table had to be relocated into the living room where Kate set up to draw all morning. It's funny how minor adjustments to the home invites quieter moments for our kids. Ty was there previously working on an engineering craft box as well.

Other than the ability to easily open and close the door and screen, the only difference is the lack of grid lines in the door. I eliminated them because they were an additional cost and I prefer the clean view; however, we are certain someone will knock themselves out trying to run through the glass. My money is on Layla.

No comments: