Thursday, July 31, 2014

New Beginnings

She was hoping a snow day would be called today and is convinced she will be eaten alive as a freshman at Floyd Central. Her anxiety level has been mach 10 for days and her haircut has her in tears. Fourteen is fun. Or not. Makenna kicked off her high school career today lamenting the fact that she will be in school every single month this year. Sadly, she is right. School let out in June and started back up again in July. She has great teachers and is more than capable of academic success. I have full confidence she will have a great year despite her fears.

Miss Kate couldn't be more excited about school and eagerly prepped her back to school outfits, made impressive lunch idea lists and has questioned every other Georgetown Elementary student she knows extensively about all she needs going into this grand adventure. For Kate, it's an opportunity to make a lot of friends. New experiences to do not frighten her and she's ready to tackle third grade public school style.

Poor Ty has had the longest face since Kate's Open House. He is not ready to lose his best buddy to school every day. This season will be quite an adjustment for him.

I was trying to figure out why I was fighting the urge to wake Greg so I could clean out and organize our bedroom closet this week. Everyday I wanted to get in there and sort through everything. It is the final remaining area of the house I have not attacked in the last month. I asked myself what this is all about and realized I am in a period of nesting. Is it normal to nest when you are sending kids to school? I assume it is nervous energy as I simply don't know what I am going to do without full-time homeschooling on my daily agenda. I am going to miss Kate. She is a constant smile and happy side kick.

In other news, Erin is wrapping up her first semester at ATA with straight A's. Her lowest grade of the four classes is a 95% so she is grounded until further notice. Just kidding. We are pretty proud of her. She is working full time, attending school full time and keeping up with a boyfriend too. In all honesty, we've encouraged her to relax so now she's also taking Yoga classes. Sigh.

1 comment:

A Mom to Two Lil' Ones said...

Makenna is going to do great - she is a beautiful girl inside and out - I hope she has a blast her freshman year. Makenna wasn't the only one wishing for a snow day, Ashlyn woke up exclaiming that she wanted to play in the snow today :)
I am so excited for Kate - her enthusiasm for this new adventure is contagious :) I hope she has a lot of fun.
And way to go Erin - so proud of her!