Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Irony

We've had a bee in the van twice this week. They find their way in while I load kids and by the time I am on the road, they're flying around spreading terror. The first time, I tried to redirect the kids' anxiety by asking them to think about life as the bee. Kate and I decided to write a story about a bee that is nosy and gets taken away from it's friends and family as result. The bee has quite an adventure finding it's way home. Sadly, that bee died in the process of being chased out of the van once I was safely parked. It was not exactly what I had in mind as a  "happy ending". Today, a second bee joined us in the van and rather than come up with another tale about adventure, Ty decided to negotiate with it. It took everything in me to keep a straight face as Ty told the bee that he should go back to his own friends because they were good friends and we were not. Ty says we are bad friends and bad things happen to bees in our van. It was true but sounded far more sinister as he told the tale of the first bee!

At the library today, I was checking out Lysa Terkeurst's book, Unglued Making Wise Choices in the Midst of Raw Emotions while my children bickered over who got to push Devyn in the stroller and whose turn it was to push the handicap access button to leave. My stress level was rising as the librarian searched for the book they had previously notified me was available. I couldn't help but laugh as I was handed the book. The librarian nodded in such a way as to agree that perhaps it was the perfect choice for today.


2 comments:

BrianS said...

Have you watched "The Bee Movie"? Your post reminded me of it. It's been one of Colby's favorite movies for the past few months. It's really cute! It looks at the world through a bee's eyes. I would've loved to hear Ty!!!!
-Robyn

Baughman Family said...

I have not seen the Bee movie! It sounds promising as long as a mom with a shoe in a mini van is not involved!