Friday, May 17, 2013

Happy Birthday Kate!

photo by Aunt Kristin 
Eight years ago, just after midnight, Kate Ryan Baughman entered the world as my smallest baby of 7 pounds, 15 ounces. A few interns witnessed their first birth and were rooting for a boy, but, "it's a girl" was shouted out by one very excited intern as she emerged. The energy in the delivery room was bursting and I have to say, her birth was probably my favorite. Greg and I labored alone and the process building up to delivery was peaceful and quiet. Within seconds of her birth, Greg made a wise crack about the turkey timer having not yet popped so he wasn't yet ready to be out and perhaps he should be put back in until he was finished cooking. Dr. Sanghvi added, "the fifth time is the charm". I vowed to smack them both when I was off that table. With that, I was handed my gorgeous daughter and forgot about smacking anyone. New babies have a way of softening me.

She made a joyful, almost singing noise in her first days and our children's minister commented that she'd never heard a newborn sing. Joyful and happy are often used to describe our Katebug to this day. She is kind, forgiving, compassionate, inquisitive, artistic, creative and cheerful. Happy eighth birthday, Kate Ryan! We love you!


4 comments:

A Mom to Two Lil' Ones said...

Happy Birthday Kate!!

Kristin said...

Happy Birthday!

Jill May said...

Happy birthday, Miss Kate!!!!! You are a sweet and wonderful young lady!!

TeamWilmore said...

What a gorgeous photo to capture her 8th birthday! Happy Belated Birthday, Kate!