Wednesday, May 9, 2012

This and That

Colby and Aiden are napping. Ty is on a walk with Makenna and they have an adventure planned at the neighbor's house for the next hour. I threw in a load of laundry, because I can always throw in a load of laundry and looked around at what needed attention. I immediately drew the conclusion that I needed attention! So I poured an iced tea and well, here I am.

Last night Kate asked me to help her clean her room to make it look "grown up". I agreed because anytime one of my kids is willing to part with papers they've drawn a single line upon or possibly de-clutter a bit, I am on board! I had no idea what Kate had in mind but I was not prepared for the next hour's events. My sweet girl is turning 7 next week and has decided she is ready to part with toys. She honestly doesn't play with them anymore but there was something comforting about having them in her space. We packed up all the toys and removed the toy box. I was emotional enough that she sent Daddy up to give Mommy a hug at one point. So much for thinking I was keeping up my poker face! The toughest moment for me was putting away the doll house that has been a central part of play time in our home for 15 years. I know it will be back out for grandchildren someday but it was not an easy piece to send into the attic.
The book case used to contain doll house toys, doll clothes and bins of smaller toys.

Yesterday I smelled smoke as I was wrapping up my morning chores. My immediate thought was that I jinxed myself when I commented on how long I've owned my current vacuum a few days ago (6+years, which happens to be twice my record!) but quickly discovered the water heater was smoldering. Thank the Lord we were home to cut off the power. Thank the Lord once again we were able to get our favorite repair man over today. We have a new water heater. Yeah us. I swear if we put $500 into savings, something worth $1000 will break. It's just they kind of math we do around here.

Greg ran a few errands with me Monday morning. We took the boys. They were really well behaved for the boys but at the end of the morning Greg, in all seriousness told me he thought I was a saint. I laughed and asked if he wanted to trade places for a few days. He said he'd consider it if he could still be married to himself. He's a gem.

The apple doesn't fall far from the tree......Erin ran into a gas station while out with a friend last week to get a new tea she likes. It happened to be in a case next to beer. As she was reaching for her tea, a man in his 30's reached in for beer and asked her if she'd like to join him for one. Without a second's hesitation she simply told him she was a solo drunk and high tailed it out of there. I was blown away by her quick thinking, the nerve of that man (buddy, I wish I was there!) and know without question, that child is her father's! I still don't know what I would have said in that situation.


A quick shot for Lauren who swears this member of the family is ignored. Trust me, this old boy is anything but neglected.

And finally.....because the laundry needs attention and my tea glass is empty, I will leave you with this adorable photo.
The chain falls off the tractor pedals regularly and they are convinced they can fix it. It simply doesn't get much cuter.

No comments: