Monday, November 7, 2011

Empowering Kids

Life has thrown us a few curve balls the last couple of weeks. Rumors about one daughter's purity floated through two schools. Another daughter has tried to shake an unstable ex-boyfriend for two months and I need him to go away before my husband goes to jail. One of those girls is also learning to set boundaries in her friendships. She has always allowed people to walk all over her for fear of upsetting someone and by the time she is worn out and starts distancing herself, the friend is upset because the rules of the relationship have changed. That child was verbally abused by a "friend's" dad this weekend. I am still shaking with anger as I heard his outlandish behavior first hand. My daughter though, she confronted a grown man with logic and calm dialog. She was upset but respectful and clearly ended up with the upper hand in the conversation as it turned out (once again) that this man had less than half of the story. Isn't that always the case? She followed up with a conversation with her friend confronting the issue and was told that she needed to let the dad's behavior go because he was having a bad day. Aren't we all? It was challenging to sit back and let the situation unfold. I wanted more than anything to step in and set this man straight but instead I let my daughter grow. She was empowered to fight her own battle and she was strong. I am quite proud. Moving forward I pray she sets healthier boundaries in her relationships so this doesn't manifest itself into such a mess. This mom of teens gig is quite a ride!
I'd much rather keep them small and sheltered....it's much more comfortable!
I wrote psalm 139 "I am fearfully and wonderfully made" across the girls' bathroom mirror last night with the follow up question, "what in this world prevents you from believing His truth about you?" I want my daughters to believe they are made for a purpose and should accept nothing less than God's richest blessings for their lives. Empowering them to believe God's truth and walk in that knowledge is difficult with all the messages that confront them in this world but I am determined to pray it over them as they journey through this life.

1 comment:

A Mom to Two Lil' Ones said...

I love what you wrote on their mirror!