Thursday, September 22, 2011

Random Post

Kate has thoroughly enjoyed school. She is in bed asleep by 8pm every night and up before the alarm at 7 each morning. Except today. Today she was tired and did not want to go to school. She had no reason other than it was picture day and she didn't want a stranger taking her picture. Hmm? She wore mismatched clothes and even attempted a backward shirt in hopes that it would keep her away from picture day. I'm shaking my head. I did not order photos but will be interested in seeing the results in her yearbook! She ended up having a great day despite her little attitude this morning.

I had to use my sister's bath time analogy on her this week when she told me she likes to play at school and still wants me to teach her at home. Essentially, she didn't want me to send her current sight word list to the school for her to work on there. Phonics and sight words were her least favorite subject as reading was a skill she thought she'd pick up in around 5 minutes at age 4. This has taken entirely too long by Kate's standards. By the way, she wasn't impressed with the analogy.

Remember the cows hiding in trees? Ty is still watching for them. He saw some in a field (of all the crazy places) and declared they fell out of the trees. I LOVE MY DAD! Mickey Mouse has not helped the situation as one of the episodes we've down loaded has an elephant stuck in a tree. Have mercy.

I would like to get some updated photos of Lauren and Kate but neither feel much like cooperating these days. I have threatened to take pictures of Lauren sleeping in hopes of gaining her cooperation. We'll see what the weekend holds. At least she dressed up for her school pictures. When she was in first grade and Erin was in third, I let the girls choose their own picture day outfits. Erin chose her best dress and requested her hair be curled. Lauren wore sweats and chose to not have her hair combed. We appear to have cycled back. Memories.

Our little bridge issue is still a mess but the school drive is reasonable once again. Praise the Lord. The President made some comment about it in a speech today. Washington is involved so this should only take a decade and a billion dollars to rectify. Still shaking my head.

Lauren had a 700+ word writing assignment to do last week. She despises creative writing (and poetry, but that isn't relevant here) and put off the assignment until the last possible minute. The end result was a charming 701 word paper about how much she hates writing, her friend's involvement in helping her with ideas, quoting me reminding her that 11 pm on the night before and assignment is due is not the best time to start the assignment and even threw in some of the crazy details of our home life. I have to say for someone who hates writing, it was rather entertaining. I hope she will let me share it here.....


Speaking of writing.....Kate has decided to make a book about animals. She has drawn several animals and written a fact about each one. She has lofty plans of making it about EVERY animal but has thus far covered about ten. Anyway, Greg really chuckled when she read it to him tonight because she has hearts and peace signs on the cover but opens the book with "Tigers like to eat people". How's that for love and peace?

She loves having access to a microwave and kitchen sink in her classroom that are geared for kids' use. She says "we GET to wash dishes!". Funny, I HAVE to wash dishes. We are seeing her take the lead in experimental play, reading and writing. Tonight she rubbed sidewalk chalk down to dust and added sand from the sandbox to make colorful sand. She was rather pleased with the results.

Our house is relatively quiet during the day. Ty is learning to play more independently. Colby is not quiet but has started napping at the same time as Ty and opened up an hour for me to read, exercise or call Kristin....an hour of "me time"! I hardly know what to do with that! Makenna is glad she has a neighbor friend doing the same online school as they are still able to socialize during the day. She is quite helpful with the boys and they both tend to prefer her over me at times. She soaks up that baby love! She has sleepovers regularly and enjoys spending time out and about, away from Mom. I think she likes me but finds me rather boring.

1 comment:

A Mom to Two Lil' Ones said...

Ha Ha Ha! I love her backwards shirt idea :)