Friday, July 15, 2022

Celebrate Good Times










Greg and I celebrated our twenty-eighth wedding anniversary Saturday with a fancy date at Costco. Just kidding. We did go to Costco but we have a cabin rented for an upcoming weekend. Our family photos were taken in honor of this crazy life we've built together. It's loud and hard and beautiful and challenging. It's full of laughter and sometimes tears. We're grateful for the mess of it all. Kate's friend, Grace has been breaking into photography and was happy to recreate my favorite session from four years ago. Having all my kids around my table is my happy place.











On Wednesday, Ty celebrated his golden birthday. He turned thirteen on the thirteenth. He is a teenager now and rumor has it, you would believe it if you lived with him. He stands almost as tall as me and has surpassed his father's shoe size. Growth is happening quickly, with four inches and fourteen pounds added in the last year. He is, of course, delighted with his first cell phone. We are amused by all the phone calls and texts we are receiving from upstairs. On his actual birthday, he wanted only to go to the candy shop with his best friend, so we honored the simple request. I added lunch and the trampoline park because it's not every day you become a teenager. 




I gave up on the furniture rule. Diesel is turning into a well behaved family member and the only contention between us has been the furniture. He is offended by dog beds and blankets intended to protect my couch from his intense shedding, so I surrendered. He sleeps in until almost 8 while I read in bed because he is cozy and once he decides to relax, the couch seems to prevent mischief making when I'm otherwise occupied. He broke us.



However, not all ornery behavior has disappeared. I had the nerve to sit on my swing without his direct supervision and he had a fit. We no longer have blinds or a basket in the guest room as result. This does not make me happy. He lacks concern for my sentiments.

Being naughty is exhausting. 
Makenna and I slipped away for dinner and classroom shopping this evening. We found some sweet books and an adorable dress for her first day. Is it appropriate for the teacher's mom to attend open house? Asking for a friend. 
Makenna knows how to order dinner. This was as delicious as it was beautiful. 


 

No comments: