Friday, April 16, 2021

Rainbows, Firemen and Gyms for Muscles


Saturday morning,  Greg started his first brisket of the season despite the rainy forecast. Noah brought the firetruck by to see the set up. We assumed the crew's questions about when we could expect it to be finished was indicative of hopes for an invitation. We sent samples to the firehouse, much to their delight. But while he monitored the progress, he and Kate assembled the latest piece of equipment for what the girls are calling, "Greg's Gym for Muscles." I just hope Greg's gym doesn't ultimately evict my car from it's spot in the garage.



I text Erin simply, "brisket for dinner today. Giant brisket nachos for lunch tomorrow" and then set an extra place at the table. I am not above this kind of bribery. But we needed to decompress after a health scare with her last week. She avoided the ER in favor of seeing her GYN twice instead. The dust has once again settled but goodness, she needs a break. Her mom does too.


Kate and I ran errands together Saturday afternoon and treated ourselves to milkshakes after sprinting in and out of the rain a dozen times. We both ended up with some new wardrobe pieces too. All in all, it was a delightful afternoon. I love this kid who stands taller than me.




Saturday evening, Ben called and wanted to come over for the night. He was visiting a family member near by so it was easy to say yes. Within minutes of arrival, he was comfortable and silly. He said he will be the first one of his brothers who gets married. I laughed and pointed out he has two older brothers so he can't be sure. He looked me dead in the eye and said, "yeah, but they are ugly." Our sweet Benjamin. 

While I was picking up Ben, Greg was on a walk and captured this awesome rainbow. With the seemingly endless rain all weekend, it was a beautiful reprieve. 


And Sunday night, the sky was pink as the rain ceased. I love this view. In honor of spring, I added hanging baskets and the flowering ground cover bloomed. 


Monday Austin called to chat while I was en route to Aldi. I hung up with him as I arrived and he immediately begged his mommy to take him to Aldi to see his Mimi. It took everything in me to not start driving to Augusta'a Aldi. I miss that boy. 

Monday evening,  the fire department stopped by to shake Greg's hand. They loved the brisket. Rumor has it he is smoking them a log of bologna next.


Erin had a date Monday evening at our favorite local Cuban restaurant. Live music was playing on the patio and the cutest little five year old was dancing his heart out. Erin found him to be quite adorable and apparently the little guy figured that out because the next thing she knew, he was tapping on her shoulder asking her to dance. And so she did. Her date was left sitting at the table, amused.

When my nephew, Brennen was little, my sister swore she could write a book about all the risks involved in taking a shower because Brennen was a fairly destructive little guy in that season. There was a baby powder baptism episode,  an entire birthday cake down a register vent, clothes flushed down the toilet (sort of) and several toilet papering occasions. The list goes on. 

It appears she is once again not safe to shower......

And I am reminded why Layla will be our last dog. 


Tuesday Ty woke emotional and not ready for another day of practice testing. He decided he was dropping out of school. He is anything but reasonable when anxious but I supervised practice testing in my school and realized how over the top the process legally has to be. The test had five questions and because of the lengthy script the teacher was required to read, it took over an hour. This was just practice. There are three practice tests and then seven official tests. It's no wonder our kids are stressed. 

Kate was able to spend a day with her best friend during school hours and assisted with dance marathon decorating. We are grateful for the social opportunities and praying her next school year can be more normal. 
A virtual kindergarten friend asked another about her absence the prior day. When the friend explained where she'd been, the original friend smacked her own forehead and sighed, "you already told me that and I forgot. My brain doesn't work the same since covid." Me too, sister. Me too.


No comments: