Friday, August 21, 2020

Pampered

I spent part of the weekend in Dayton. My first stop was to see my friend Becky who has spent 2020 battling cancer. All of our phone calls have been optimistic and Becky's usual spunk has shined through each conversation. So I was taken by surprise when I actually got to see her. It is taking me a great deal of time to process the shell she has become. Please don't misunderstand me, Becky is still very much my spicy friend but seeing her down to one hundred pounds and so weak she couldn't push the remote buttons devestated me. She deserves so much more than what chemo and radiation are doing to her. 


I then met Kristil who was in Dayton setting her son up for his sophomore year at the University of Dayton. We had a grown up sleepover at Kristin's house. Resort Sanderson delivered pampering and delicious food. Chris poured wine while he cooked and the boys were attentive as well. I give them five stars and two thumbs up every visit. 

When I returned home Sunday, the big kids were gathering for a family night. Our original plan had been for backward night but when Tim and Noah also arrived, I waived starting with showers and pajamas and moved instead to pizza and no bake cookies. There were no complaints but Ty does want another opportunity for backward night so we can pack lunches, shower, have dessert before dinner and then play games until bedtime. The boy is so excited for the chance to eat dessert before  dinner that he called each of his siblings and insisted this was important and they needed to attend. Rumor has it, the family in Georgia disappointed him with their inability to comply. We loved his enthusiasm though. 

I spent the week repeating myself, walking in circles and wondering if the masks are making me easier to ignore in kindergarten. However, as usual, there were redeeming moments. Instead of asking children to wear their masks, I say, "I see your cute noses!" And they quickly cover up their mouths and noses. I am saying it less and less as time wears on because the kiddos are much better about them at this point. I still believe we are doing more harm than good with five year olds in masks but it is what it is. However, I dropped a mask into a puddle stepping out of my car and used a backup mask I hadn't tried prior to needing it. I fussed with that darn thing all day as it kept slipping off my nose. One ornery little guy who has needed significant reminders called me out. "Ms. Sherri, I see your cute little nose." He totally won me over.

Another cutie told me his grandma had a birthday this week. "She is really old. She might die soon. I think she is 31." He is not my favorite. 

Monday Kate was sent home with a pulse oxygen level of 92 and racing heart rate. She has been cleared to return to school once she no longer requires breathing treatments during school hours. She enjoyed the time she spent in the high school and is hopeful she will return next week. But having a virtual option for an asthma flare has been an awesome solution. 

Ty, feeling anxious about a situation at school on Wednesday, said he didn't feel well and was sent to the health office. He was sent home for allergies. We had to have a doctor's statement to send him back to school. We were able to see the doctor curbside for a hefty price to get the note. Lack of fever, vomit or diarrhea isn't enough to keep kids in class these days. I told the boy CPS will be called on me if he goes back to the health office this year. This mom is not playing.

Wednesday our school had it's first covid positive case. Friday we had our first planned district-wide virtual day to insure technology was ready for the challenge in the event we are shut down again.  The end of the day revealed teachers visibly relaxing. They were able to teach outside their comfort zone and realized their students still connected in meaningful ways. These people love deeply and simply want to do what is best for students. The weight on their shoulders has been enormous. That weight, I realized I also carried when sleep evaded off and on throughout the week. 

It's the year of "it will be what it will be" and most days I can roll with it. I announced to some complainers in my midst Thursday, the only thing we get to control these days is our response so at some point, the panic button needs disabled. 

It will be what it will be.


No comments: