Friday, August 7, 2020

Easing Back to Life (mostly) As Usual



This weekend, we had a little fun anticipating Ty's return to school and in the coming weeks, everyone else resuming their new "normal". For the record, I loathe that phrase but it is what it is.

This man I love ordered prescription safety glasses to make life at work easier on himself. His reading glasses didn't wear well under safety glasses and he needs both. When they arrived, he wore them around the house to get used to them. Then I noted he wore them on our errand date Friday night. When he chose to also wear them to church, I asked the girls to help me explain how safety glasses cannot be his everyday glasses. Both Makenna and Kate laughed and of course backed me. "Dad, you can't. You really just can't." But he did. Erin commented on them when she arrived and he explained he spent good money on them and is going to wear them all the time. She supported him fully, "he already has a wife" followed, "you never know when something will fly at your face so it's best he just wear them for safety." She is out of the will.

Her boyfriend went to Costco while she was visiting us. He bought peanut M&M's, peanut butter and bread for each of their houses. He thought perhaps they should go together the next time and she laughed at how adult that sounded. They are adulting.



"If I have an assigned seat between two girls, I'm dropping out of school."

Friends joined us for church and then later came over for lunch as well. They were responsible for keeping Layla out of the quick family photos and clearly did a great job.

Youth group was able to comfortably meet outside in order to be mask free Sunday evening. It was a welcomed change.
Kate and I have had a standing date before youth group each Sunday evening. She practices driving in the high school parking lot for fifteen minutes or so until it's time to head over to the church. We got an early start since she was eager to learn and I think once she has her permit, I will miss this time. She is pretty focused and yet relaxed behind the wheel. It doesn't hurt that she already parks better than one sister.

Monday Ty agreed to finally clear his room of all the toys he's no longer using. It took us a few hours of careful sorting but in the end, a hefty load was delivered to our local charity thrift store. He was proud of himself and I was thrilled with the decluttering. One very loved stuffed kitten was gifted to a neighbor Ty considers a friend who happens to be entering high school. The boy was beyond gracious receiving it. Ty had named the toy after Alex's cat when he passed away years ago. Mr. Mittens now has a place of honor in Alex's room. 




Monday night, immediately after I had fallen into bed, I noted gorgeous light filtering through the blinds and wisely abandoned my need for sleep for a quick moment with my kids and my camera. There was no time to dry hair or allow for fussing over wardrobe. I'm delighted with my choice as the captured light fed my soul.

Tuesday was our final day before alarms and school year running began. I spent the early hours with a journal, hot tea and diffuser; embracing the calm and absorbing the needed peace of the still quiet morning. And then some friends came to play. Levi has been requesting some time for the last month or so. I was happy to oblige.


Tuesday night, we dyed Ty's hair blue again, hoping it would serve as a needed confidence boost to face his first day of fifth grade. It worked until bedtime when all the new year jitters hit with a vengeance. Our kiddo was worried about so many things; topping the list was fear of throwing up at school until he shared he saw something online about squares painted around desks and kids remaining in their masks in those squares all day. It broke my heart. I promised not everything we see online is real (so many grownups need this reality check too) and that we wouldn't be sending him into that situation. He was restless but ultimately slept. His momma did not.
During Ty's first school day, one full week prior to the rest of us starting, Kate spent time with our friend, Amanda and then joined me on a grocery run. It was pretty quiet at home.
Wednesday evening we dined on the patio together. The weather this week was amazing.


Thursday Kate and I retrieved her school chrome book and walked her schedule before seeing her surgeon. Her MRI revealed she is tumor free. We are beyond relieved. However, we still aren't certain what triggered the dislocation nor do we understand why the pain is increasing. She starts physical therapy Monday and sees the chiropractor Wednesday. 
Thursday night was rough. I was beyond exhausted from the emotional roller coaster of on-going changes in all the things and found myself unable to cope with one more; even as small as a father expressing frustration over a daughter's short fuse with a brother. Whereas he was right, I found I wasn't able to spend another minute with anyone, so I sent myself to bed. It was not yet 7pm. This was likely the best decision I've made in months. 

Fun Friday arrived early with me feeling refreshed and ready to conquer the day. Sleep is glorious. I woke the boy singing and reminding him it was milkshake day and he had no reason to groan. He still did, but briefly. Given the way he started the prior two school days, I accepted it easily. Yes, sleep is beautiful and necessary. Rumor has it his awesome principal started the day with a dance party over the announcements. We are grateful for his happy school and the awesome teachers doing the best they can in trying circumstances. 


My little friend noted I had been taking Ty and her big sister to school this week but hadn't yet been to her school. So I rode along for drop-off this morning. She brightens my world. 

Today, errands were run, friends chatted on the phone, another dinner on the patio and a video chat with our grandson where there was singing and dancing. It was a pretty sweet ending to the week.

No comments: