Friday, April 10, 2020

Rose Island, Terrific Two, Super Hero, Date and Dinner









Note the flood level of the Ohio River in 1937. The drop off into the river from where Makenna is standing is significant. That flood wiped out the resort and amusement park. 




On Monday, Ty woke early and ready for e-learning. Whereas Kate wasn't assigned work until Tuesday, Ty's teachers made his work available Sunday night. He once again soared through his science lessons and made quick work of his vocabulary before I called him away from the computer for a hike. Now that his education is solely online, he loves it. We enjoyed exploring Rose Island Abandoned Amusement Park.

Their dramatic reactions to the last leg of our uphill hike entertained me. It was quite a walk and all of us were feeling it. The decision to get out of the house was a good one.

Lauren expressed some frustration with Austin's hitting phase. He hits when he is angry and he hits when he is excited. Makenna and I both recommended the book, Hands are Not for Hitting. Lauren called Monday evening, completely exasperated. They read the book. Austin loved it. He wanted to hear it again. As they wrapped up the second time, he smirked, climbed off the couch and used the book to smack the wall and furniture. After I pulled myself together, I repeated my advice,"books are for reading. We can read the book, not hit with the book." Please note, as humerous as I found Austin exposing the loop hole, his mother did not. She is totally raising herself. It's so much more fun for me this time around.

But Tuesday night she video chatted with me so I could watch his reaction to the preschool song about the little ducks going out one day, over the hill and far away. The mother duck says quack, quack, quack and with each verse, one less duck came back. Austin's lip quivered each time they got down to one duck and he cried when they were all gone. We explained it was hide and seek and the mommy finds them all so it is okay. So he would sing it again but still get emotional toward the end; genuine emotion with tears through a smile he was trying to fake and it was heartbreaking.

These two are best buds. Oliver only snuggles with Ty. Both love e-learning. But I just finished telling a frustrated friend whose son is also in the "hands are not for hitting" phase that I used to think Ty would never outgrow smacking people in frustration but now he would be devestated if he hurt someone's feelings when Makenna heard Ty "helping" his buddy problem solve in the driveway. The friend has a crush on a girl and doesn't know what to do about it. Ty suggested they set her kitchen on fire so Lane could rescue the girl and Ty can put out the fire and save the house. Our superhero is a bit overzealous and scares me a little.
Makenna's boyfriend is a medic and his mother is a phlebotomist; both honorable but unfortunately essential during a pandemic. The decision to keep them apart for this season has been hard on her. Believe it or not, nineteen year old daughters don't love extended periods of family time.  



Thursday Makenna and Noah had a chilly picnic together in the driveway. Layla, the chaperone stole Noah's milk and provided the socially distant entertainment. 

I sent flowers with a simple, "you've got this" message to a friend facing a stage three cancer diagnosis during a pandemic because social distancing requires we think of new ways to "hug" friends. The marketing geniuses at the florist sent me a step discount on a second order. So I bought me flowers as well. As it turns out, I've got this too. But Makenna brought them into the house from her socially distant date excited, "Mom, someone sent you flowers!" And I laughed, "yep, that was me. By the way, this is the way you get flowers after twenty-five years of marriage." Kate was disappointed I didn't include a card. I will keep that in mind next time. I suppose a pep talk attached to flowers couldn't hurt.

For the last few weeks, Hello Fresh has been delivering meal kits to cover 2-3 meals a week. It's a little pricey but we decided that it covers our commitment to trying new recipes and serves as entertainment to an extent because we tend to gather in the kitchen and prep food together when it's something new. Deciding to let this treat go after the shelter in place protocol lifts won't be easy. Whereas the service is less expensive than going out for quality food, we aren't a family who eats out. However on Thursday I received a last minute notification my delivery had been delayed. I had no backup plan because I didn't want fresh food wasted. I ended up frying some bacon and scrambling a dozen eggs despite my reluctance to use so many eggs at a time. I had "dinner" finished just before Greg was due home so I cleaned the skillet. Water backed up in my sink so I turned on the garbage disposal and immediately regretted the decision. My sink threw up egg shells, water and bacon grease all over my freshly cleaned kitchen and still warm dinner. Everything went into the trash and I fought tears as I started over. We redeemed dinner with an early Easter celebration. I needed it more than the kids in that moment.



Kate and Ty worked on Ty's Avenger Lego set together while Pip supervised from his new hammock. Kate made it out of an old tee shirt. We aren't sure how much he appreciates it just yet. He seems lively in it but he also tries to escape. I am not fluent in hedgehog so it's anyone's guess. 



But these two and the way they've bonded through this season has been impressive. They both are thrilled to be home and away from the stress of school and have found more in common than I thought possible with a four year age difference. My hope is the memories they are making together carry them through the coming years.

No comments: