Saturday, April 4, 2020

E-Learning, Photography and Painting

On Sunday, I dried my hair. Two of our children came into the bathroom to find out where we were going. This is a sign of just how uninterested I have been in getting myself put together these last few weeks. As it turns out, I just wanted dry hair.

Monday we painted Kate's room. She has been begging for over a year and I was waiting to tackle that job until after she moved upstairs when Makenna moves out. Given the state of the world right now and the inevitable recession heading our way, it seems unlikely Makenna will be leaving anytime soon. So we painted. What else did we need to do? Kate is thrilled with the brightness of her room and I am pleased she agreed to the same neutral tone I have throughout the rest of the house because that will translate well into a guest room eventually. She also painted the pink dresser black and sprayed the black hardware rose gold.


We were able to participate in Austin's bedtime routine Monday evening and it was pure joy. I love that baby more than words can express. He has the best belly laughs and cannot believe all the things he can get us to do with him. Pops was acting like Cookie Monster at one point and Austin laughed so hard, he was doubled over. And the bedtime stories? We all know all the hand motions and do them along with him. Lauren says we are not helping her teach him he is not the boss of the world. Smile. However, he is officially potty trained and very proud of himself.

Tuesday I finished my photography project. You can view it here if you are so inclined. I needed the creative outlet and the socially distant conversations were good for my soul. I miss my people.

Tuesday I picked up a hefty clicklist order, our first in eleven days and as I pulled into the garage, the children cheered. They eagerly filled the refrigerator and cupboards for me, exclaiming over every item. Awhile later, I noted some missing snacks. Loudly inquiring to the house in general, it became clear Kate was hiding favorites in her room. She begrudgingly returned them upon demand. Still the sweet one?

Ty started e-learning Monday. Kate started Wednesday. Makenna asked me to hold her accountable for her online classwork on Wednesday as well. We are staggering work shifts because we don't have the bandwidth for three online at the same time. Rumor has it we aren't alone in this predicament. It's all going as well and it's nice to have something we are responsible for each day. However, I miss my work kids and chatting with my teacher during snack time. Now I snack more and chat less. This is a problem. But my teacher and I collaborated on Wednesday and she allowed me access to our google classroom and is letting me interact with our kiddos virtually. I'm delighted to have the opportunity.

I realized I was remaining irritated by the drama of this virus and not being supportive of the people genuinely afraid. Whereas I think they need to distance themselves from the media thriving on the frenzy, they are actually terrified. So I needed to check my attitude. I'm a slow learner. If my friends need a listening ear, I'm here. I may have snoozed you for thirty days on Facebook because I cannot join you in that mindset but I do love you.




Ty wrapped up his e-learning in four days. Oliver was not impressed with the lack of attention. And then I introduced the idea of kid chef for lunch. He did a good job and despite his reluctance, the girls also enjoyed his meal.
Thursday afternoon we discovered we would be finishing the year with e-learning. I am so heartbroken. I miss my work kids immensely. Kate and Ty, seeing my tears tried so hard to be reverent. Noting they were about to burst with excitement, I granted permission to celebrate and they did. Loudly. We all cope our own way, I suppose.
These boys had been bike riding together until the other mom decided to be more socially distant. This is the boys' compromise. 

Friday, because Ty was finished with his assignments for the week, I accepted a volunteer role pulling weeds from one of the school's flower beds. It felt amazing to be useful. However, this morning, those three hours of squatting and bending to pull weeds has caught up with me. I feel old today.

No comments: