Sunday, February 2, 2020

The Longest Month

We officially survived all 963 days of January and kicked off February with Valentine treats because I was feeling festive. The promise of an early spring has added a bounce to my step.


Ty, lamenting the girls at school chasing him, "why do I have to be cute?" Greg, the humble parent, "look at us. You have no choice with such good looking parents."

A boy likes Kate. Kate likes that boy. I would like to waive this next season so I asked Greg how to pull that off. We are considering converting to Catholicism and a convent. This season is not my favorite and in this case, having as much experience as we do navigating the dating years does not make it easier to tackle. We know just how much fun it is. Seriously. I'd like to waive this.


Thursday evening we attended Ty's Winterfest at school and learned more about his school days. His art teacher is delightful and he took pride in sharing some of his projects. I also discovered this school eliminated the science fair in exchange for a full school-wide day of science. I think it's brilliant given how few kids actually produce their own science fair projects. Ty is excited about that day as well. But this letter was on his desk. It will be added to a care package a local printing company is putting together for our troops overseas. I love glimpses into his perspective about deeper subjects because at any given moment when asked about topics, he gives his customary shrug. He cares a great deal more than he reveals.
A little girl Lauren watches gave my grandson a black eye. On purpose. I told Greg I needed to drive down there to spank someone. He laughed and suggested I might be overreacting. And to that I quipped that I said I would drive down, not fly because THAT would be overreacting.

I learned I am dishonest, it seems as I persuade myself mostly, I am fine; always fine. Strong, determined and joyful because it's a choice, I have been convinced. So I am fine. I don't sleep well and when a hint of good news emerges, my eyes leak the fear that was brewing just under the surface of fine. Tomorrow Greg has his first face-to-face interview in over two months of searching.

I stumbled upon this gem on a local thrift store Facebook page and quickly sweet talked Greg into a weekend project.


I am delighted to be able to display the tea set my mom has allowed me to keep all these years. She brought it home with her from Germany when she was a teen. I have always loved it.
While Greg and I painted, Ty attended a birthday party at the local trampoline park and pizza place. Erin came over to start some laundry and go shopping with Kate and Makenna. We gathered and laughed our way through a quick dinner of grilled hamburgers together afterward.

Sunday, after church we had a quick lunch at home and then loaded up for a local hiking trail. The sunshine and 62 degree temperatures were a gift we didn't want to miss.









Always bottle flipping. Always.



This evening, a football game was on tv that most of the country believes is a big deal so I made snacks for my crew and then locked myself in my room with a book. We all celebrate our own way, I suppose.

No comments: