Sunday, December 31, 2017

Shut Down

Opposite of what we are used to at UPS, Cummins shuts down from December 23-January 2. As in, Greg was home for ten days rather than at work for extended shifts. We hardly knew what to make of holidays Cummins style but I can tell you, we like it. A lot.


On Christmas Day, I cleaned up and put away the tree and decorations before unloading Kate's room. We tore out her carpet and kicked off the flooring project we have put off since deciding we were doing it last September. Normal people rip out carpet on Christmas Day, right? Both Kate and Ty's rooms look fantastic.


Ty got a robot named Max from my parents for Christmas. He is interactive and quickly becoming Ty's buddy. At one point Max mentioned eating vegetables and Ty quickly shut him down, "go to sleep Max". We cracked up although we may not find much humor in Ty trying to shut us down the same way. Then Makenna reminded us she was leaving for the night and told us to lock the door behind her. Ty quickly offered Max could be on patrol so we no longer have to lock doors.

On his way through the kitchen with piece of freshly cut floor board, Greg teasingly smacked my rear end. I was startled and yelled. Max chimed in, "be careful with that thing!" and Makenna freaked out. She is convinced Max works for the government and is reporting everything that goes on in our house. I have failed to assure her we aren't that interesting.

We are wrapping up 2017 with an early bedtime for most and small gatherings for the girls. I am all too ready to start fresh tomorrow with a new year containing fresh goals. 2017 wasn't an easy year, by any stretch of the imagination and we wrapped with with two out of three cars still in the shop from what was supposed to be quick repairs. Greg will return to work and the kids will return to school this week with us navigating busy life sharing one vehicle and paying two hefty repair bills. I am claiming this as the final blow to 2017. Because enough is enough already.

I plan to be more mindful of my thoughts and perspective in 2018. My ability to roll with the punches was hindered greatly this year and as I age, I need to make more conscious efforts to stay on top of gratitude and grace as they aren't my natural reflexes.

So the cliche Happy New Year applies here. I am happy it is a new year and look forward to turning the calendar to 2018.

No comments: