Monday, December 25, 2017

Christmas 2017

Yesterday we hosted fifteen for crab and steak dinner. Sweets were out all day as well. We laughed a lot. The chaos was exactly as one would expect with a group this size. Add a couple of dogs and we had a real circus going here but it was perfect. I was too busy to grab the camera and I suppose that was a good thing but anytime we have everyone together, I want to document it because if 2017 taught me one thing, it is life is precious and fleeting. Togetherness is what it is all about after all.


Because I am a little crazy, I supplied all four adult children with marshmallow guns and two full bags of ammunition. Nothing says Merry Christmas like starting a war. Jake and Taylor loved it and said so repeatedly. But the highlight had to be when Ty opened his robot, Max from Grandma and Grandpa. He exclaimed, "I cannot even afford this thing and I am breaking rules because it says ages 10 and up and I am only 8!"


Mom and Dad stayed the night to see the kids open gifts this morning. They were up at 5 am. Ty slept until 7:30 and woke while we were eating breakfast. Grandparents are big kids too.






Ty has been processing a lot this year and been quite reluctant to discuss anything having to do with Santa. The Polar Express was requested quite often and he wants a robe like the main character in that movie. The very first words out of his mouth this morning were, "Joshua says parents do all of this" and my heart broke a little. He wants to believe but simply doesn't anymore. Watching that magic disappear is a tough Merry Christmas indeed.

My mom surprised me with a gift I have loved in her home for decades. This hand carved nativity in all it's simplicity makes me happy. She has found she no longer has space for it and handed it down. I love it and look forward to adding it to the few decorations I now display next year because as anyone who knows me knows, Christmas is over in the Baughman home and all the trees and decor have been put away. I am ready to have my home and routine restored. I always am by this day.

No comments: