Monday, May 11, 2015

Mommy Has Senioritis


Kate came home with a rubric for a project due May 14th about two weeks ago. She was pretty pumped about this little assignment and was certain we needed to go to The Home Depot to get wood, paint and whatever else she came up with to create a model of a local landmark, Polly's Freeze. The assignment was to depict a local landmark with creativity and lots of detail. She envisioned us helping her carry in a heavy and giant replica. I talked her down and we were going to tackle this with graham crackers and icing instead; think lazy mom's version of a gingerbread house. Except we have a lot of life happening around here these days and my ability to focus is lacking. We talked it down further and decided some photos glued onto poster board would suffice. As I was uploading said photos onto Walgreen's site, I noted a 30% off poster discount and found myself creating the silly project in under five minutes. Kate was pleased and Walgreen's had it ready within the hour. The mommy is done. Really, really done. We will take our 28 possible points for handing in a completed, creative, neat project and move on. If teachers want giant replicas, they will have to hit me with it in August.

This was my first Mother's Day with Erin living out of the house. She ordered something to be delivered to me because she didn't know if we would be together given how much else was on our plates this weekend. She did show up though to use our washer and dryer. Lauren stopped at the grocery on her way home from a friend's house with flowers for me and my mom which was very sweet. Kate drew me several pictures and created a poem too. Ty started to color me a picture "but it was boring". And after I went to bed Mother's Day night, this was emailed to me:



Dear Mom,

Thanks for being my mom and not someone else's. If I had a different mom, I'd punch her in the face and go find you.

I was going to write you a long, heart-felt letter, but I found this on Twitter and thought it summed up what I needed to say better than a long corny letter would. Love you.

Makenna=


My mom and dad spoiled me with a new tea I enjoy sampling every time I stop in Teavania and a bath bomb from Lush. I am looking forward to locking out the entire family to enjoy both. Just kidding. Sort of. 
Mother's Day weekend was full of family, laughter and kid-centered fun. It was as it should be, I suppose.

1 comment:

A Mom to Two Lil' Ones said...

I love your family! They make life fun and interesting :)