Saturday, May 24, 2014

The Week

Motherhood appears to be more about growing me than raising children.The days I run on too little sleep and too much caffeine are not pretty. Heck, none of the days are glamorous! Pretty is surface deep and my yoga pants, hope to have my teeth brushed before noon, didn't notice someone wiped their nose on me is anything but pretty. However, at the end of the day, when I am hiding in the closet consuming my secret stash of chocolate, I pray to be more beautiful in the manor that matters. I strive to be more patient in my tone and encouraging during struggles and tantrums. Some days I am confident. Other days I could weep as I look at the clock and realize it is only five o'clock and I have three more hours until bedtime. Those are the days I tell my family the mommy has clocked out. As if. Clocking out is never an option. There are beautiful days, recharged and renewed. The days I have the answers and grace aren't the most predominate in my world; I am too outnumbered and the needs are too great. So, God grows me while I flail through this motherhood gig. I am incredibly blessed but lose sight all to often of how amazing this journey really is. When I take time to reflect, I see beauty in the challenging days too. It just takes a little more effort to discern in those moments. After all, even superheros need hugs too.

This week was full of heartache and turmoil so we started our weekend intentional about rest and relaxation. Greg and I slipped out to use his last birthday gift card for a late lunch alone. We ran a few errands and spoke in complete sentences about current challenges, future goals and better stress management. I haven't managed well this week and he was all too aware.

The little ones captured a turtle who happened upon our driveway this week. I allowed it to remain in captivity for a few hours, just long enough for everyone to see it. That turtle high tailed it out of sight immediately upon it's release. Smart turtle.

Justin had to be talked down a few times this week as he observed a few stressful encounters. He started calling me Mom and at one point was rather insistent I trade my tea for wine because there is no way anyone should deal with all of this sober. He's cute. I refused his offer and remained sober so he took the kids for an ice cream. Can you believe the kids think his car is cooler than mine?  And then he offered Lauren a trip with him and Erin to his extended family's lake house for the weekend so she could get away from a rough situation here. She has to work the entire three day weekend but he was pretty sweet to offer. We hope Erin and Justin are having a great time with Justin's aunts and uncles. They also deserved a break.

Official paperwork for Makenna's freshman year states she has declared her future career goal to "be Spiderman". I can't decide if I am more annoyed with her for not taking anything seriously or the school for putting unnecessary pressure on thirteen year old kids. Who has a clue about their future when they are entering high school? Erin had declared her goal to be a professional skydiver during her freshman year to get them off her back. I suspect we will be retiring our high school counselor in the near future.One look at another incoming Baughman should send him screaming from his office.


Miss Devyn celebrated turning three this week! She woke on her birthday ready to party and eat cake. Sister isn't easily redirected and ended up with a few gifts despite her party being scheduled for next weekend. She's adorable and rather persuasive too.

3 comments:

Jill May said...

Justin seems like a sweetie, and yes, his car is way cooler than mine. I am a bit green with envy. I personally think you are doing pretty awesome at this mothering gig. I am getting to the flailing part now too. This could get interesting. And as for Miss Spiderman? That is hilarious! I haven't decided what I want to be when I grow up. Maybe a wine taste tester.

A Mom to Two Lil' Ones said...

I love this post, and love your honesty.
And Makenna's dream of becoming Spiderman? I love that girl!

TeamWilmore said...

Dear friend, you aren't just pretty, you're beautiful! And it radiates from your heart to your gorgeous face.