Wednesday, April 16, 2014

This and That

We woke Tuesday to a slight dusting of snow. Heads were buried deep under covers; all were more than reluctant to face the day. It is Spring. We'd spent the weekend enjoying seventy eight degree sunshine and refused to accept Mother Nature's latest curve ball. My five children share two closets. They each have their own dresser but let me assure you transitional seasons are tough on this uptight perfectionist. I like to have everything neatly put in it's place. Coats and shorts do not share the same space well.

Ty smashed his finger Sunday and will be losing a fingernail as result. It only bothers him in his sleep, when he is still long enough to notice pain. We've had a few long nights.

The kids and I have spent our Monday evenings with inner city kids the last few weeks. It is a rough crowd that breaks my heart. Kate and Ty love the energy and are making new friends. I don't yet have an official role but serve alongside some pretty remarkable people. One inquisitive fourth grader asked me how old I was and before I could answer, suggested "twenty five". I told him I would like to accept his offer; however, I am forty. He yelled, "whoa!". Sometimes it is still a shock to me as well.

I recently read a blog post written by a woman who lost her mother when she was young. She reflected she thought true love was a cup of tea. Her father was an early riser and her mother was not so he woke her daily with a cup of tea. Sounds familiar. My true love wakes me almost daily with a hot cup of tea. And at the end of the day, I wake him with coffee. Love demonstrated so simply.

Ty has been watching Kate take care of some food prep and has decided he too can help in the kitchen. He made Gleason's sandwich on Tuesday and was so proud of himself. Once again, the transition isn't easy on the uptight mother who cringes at the mess but he is paving the way toward independence and that needs to be celebrated.

Lauren has also taken a determined lead in dealing with some adult issues. I have wanted to step in numerous times and yet, she's handled it. She has thrived under pressure once again. I am so proud of her but allowing my kids up to be more independent is scary at times. Kate started riding her bike throughout the neighborhood last weekend. She was so excited and ready last year but it takes me time to let go. The goal is independence and yet, the result is bittersweet for me. And I may or may not have parked myself strategically where I could see her round each corner. Ahem. Baby steps count.

Ty sings constantly. Sadly, Justin Bieber is his artist of choice followed closely by the Frozen sound track. Daddy is less than thrilled and I suspect there will be an "accident" with a few disks if we can't convince him there are more worthy artists available. 
 





1 comment:

A Mom to Two Lil' Ones said...

Loved all the coloring egg pictures.
It was fun to see Kate riding her bike the other day to my house - she was so very proud of herself and it showed in her grin :)