Saturday, April 6, 2013

Hit that ball

Erin met a new little friend in a waiting room this week. Four year old Jaycee was wearing ruby red slippers like the ones Erin wore for about three years of her toddler/preschool life. She also had a "twirly skirt" she enjoyed showing off. Erin asked her about her outfit and learned she'd just come from tee ball practice and would be playing her first game the following morning. Jaycee reported she told her coach she would curl her hair, put on her favorite lipstick and hit that ball. Sounds like pretty good advice to me. Basically, pull yourself together and do what you have got to do.


Ty's version involves a cape. He's a super hero. Reach for the sky little man.


Motherhood this week has been something I have merely survived, not enjoyed. I hate admitting that. I literally felt like I was running around putting out fire after fire, not taking anytime to reflect, refresh or respond. I was in reaction mode all week. Some of it was circumstantial and some of it was a pattern I allowed myself to slip uncomfortably back into. As I sat in the library yesterday morning with a book while the kids played on the computers, Kate asked to get a drink. Ty was engaged and would have a serious melt down if interrupted. I took the lazy route. I allowed Kate to get the drink without accompaniment. Ty continued playing and I sat; literally out of exhaustion. I honestly reasoned that if someone were to abduct Kate, she would go by the doors in front of me with huge signs that say an alarm would sound if they were opened. Perfect. If someone was taking Kate that way, I could sound the alarm, get Kate back and Ty would still be safe playing on the computer. Unless there were two kidnappers in the building at that moment. I took the risk. Kate returned safe and hydrated. Ty continued playing quietly until lunchtime and I enjoyed a few minutes of relative peace. Peace from external elements anyway. My brain....that's another story altogether.

This weekend will be spent collaborating with Greg about our girls. There were too many balls to hit this week. There were too many big decisions made in the heat of the moment. It's time to make some changes.


No comments: