Tuesday, November 13, 2012

This and That

We celebrated Lauren's upcoming 16th birthday last Friday night because she was out of school for two days and could help plan and prepare for it. She chose Elmo as the theme and had a good time. Today, during school hours, she called me, literally on the verge of tears and asked me if I had heard the news about Elmo. I had. She demanded to know why I hadn't shared the news with her. I answered simply, "so I wouldn't have to listen to you cry about it". She was not amused.
 
 
 
I would have more photos from the party but teens only like photos they take of themselves to post on Facebook and Instagram. Having your mother take your photo is embarrassing. Teens are delightful. They enjoyed the volleyball net wrapped in Christmas lights (we are officially red necks now), Twister, a thrilling game of Red Rover and a bonfire. It was a great night overall.

Kate is writing a play she expects her brother to perform with her. She's worried he isn't practicing his lines enough and continues to remind him he won't be able to use his script during the performance. He isn't worried, especially since reading isn't exactly a skill he's mastered yet.
We have started some Christmas projects. Little Miss is in her glory. She loves crafting. This has prompted some conversations about Christmas with Ty. He wants presents. In his presents, he wants boxes. And he gets really excited when he considers the possibility of a green bow on a present too. This is not exactly the kind of request Grandma Carol considers helpful as she attempts her shopping. My older kids claim they don't need Santa because they have Grandma. Ty will catch on by next year, I suspect.
I sewed a simple Christmas dress for Kate today and I will be making a matching one for her doll later. She was less than patient with the process so the doll dress will be made after bedtime.
I inherited my Grandma's sewing machine. I haven't been able to bring myself to pull it out of the storage bag yet. I thought I was prepared to try it today but decided I need to make something a little more conservative than a bright red sparkly dress with Grandma's machine. Although, I suspect if Kate had personally requested one from Grandma, she would have made it herself. In good time I will spend sometime getting to know her sewing machine. In good time.

1 comment:

A Mom to Two Lil' Ones said...

Wait - what happened to Elmo?

I can't wait to see the finished matching dresses :)