Saturday, March 10, 2012

The play "date"

We have a new neighbor who eagerly walked up to the driveway a few weeks ago to introduce herself and her children. I invited her to a play date to get to know her and allow our kids to meet as well. The play date occurred this week. I prepped the house and made muffins. I talked to the boys about manners and how to play nicely with new friends. We were set, until they arrived anyway. Ty was not in the most cooperative mood, to say the least. I repeatedly removed him from the situation to further discuss how we treat our friends. Aiden came over that day in his "I am not going to be happy today" mood and Colby needed a nap. Our neighbor was gracious as she tried to persuade her son to share toys he had just picked up and offer them to Ty to which I responded that he didn't need to because Ty must learn to share....etc.  An hour after their arrival, she declared nap time to her son and made a quick exit. Our date ended with an awkward exchange at the door about calling if I ever need anything, not "we should do this again".  I messaged Anne later in the day and said that a second date would not be in our future. Anne was amused and by that time, I was too. What are you going to do? Of course this encounter came on the heels of the day I looked out back and discovered my son chasing the neighbor boy who happens to be a year and a half older around the yard with a large stick. That poor kid was running for his life. Sigh.

However, we also have moments like these and they redeem my beautiful son and keep me from using the dog crate for more than the dogs.




Colby mastered climbing onto chairs this week. Ty mastered climbing onto stools. They both tackled their new skills with determination. It was nice to see that energy channeled into something positive!

Our little guests have most likely found their forever homes. Mia will be living with my sister after next weekend. We are excited about that placement as we will be able to see her grow up and know she will be a member of a great family. Woody, on the other hand we toyed with the idea of keeping. He is just so sweet and loveable; however, Brutus has shown us that he is not pleased with our arrangement. He is simply too old to tolerate the energy level of growing puppies. As much as it pains Lauren, she knows this is best for Brutus and she loves him enough to put her feelings aside. Someone from our church is in the adoption process with Tracye and if all goes well, will have Woody this week. We don't know that family well but hope to work out some visitation occasionally. 

No comments: