Thursday, February 25, 2021

Post-Op

Erin and I spent a very long night together in the hospital Friday. Her pain was difficult to manage. She remained strong and determined, just shocked by her pain level. She has navigated several surgeries and procedures these last two years and always shook off the impact. There was no denying this hurt. 

We spent Saturday trying to get on top of her pain. Fortunately by the evening, she was determined to go home where we put her on Tylenol and Motrin in a four hour rotation and slept in my cozy bed together. We both felt human Sunday; still tired but good. Erin was uncomfortable but not in significant pain by Sunday. The girl is as tough as nails. Friends visited and delivered flowers, treats and an adorable tee shirt. It says, "I've got 99 problems and a uterus ain't one".


Kate woke Sunday morning vomiting. She spent the day unable to keep anything down and sleeping away discomfort. Greg assumed care giving responsibility for her in the back of the house and I maintained my nursing role for Erin in our bedroom and bath. Erin could not get a stomach bug. It would be excruciating for her. So far, Kate is the only one who caught it. Thank God. 

But Erin was still Erin. In pre-op after explaining her final meal was Taco Bell, "nutrition is my passion." She later explained she is a "vision of health with the exception of some gynecologic misfortunes" when answering medical history questions. The anesthesiologist had blood clot prevention cuffs placed on Erin's legs and commented on her pedicure. Erin accepted the compliment and leg massage treatment,"I am fully indulging in all the spa treatments with my 60% disability." 

We had pots of soup delivered to our door. My parents brought pizza from Donato's in Lexington and so many snacks were sent in care packages. Apparently our "vision of health" is well understood. She is loved best with a full belly. She received so many gorgeous flowers I asked to spread them around the house because my bedroom was looking like a funeral home. 

Tuesday evening I pointed out the first few nights after surgery were reminiscent of Erin's newborn months as we lacked quality sleep and had several interruptions. Monday night, I was only up once with her so we decided that represented her toddler years. Greg quipped, "bring on the empty nest phase so I can get my roommate back." Erin is in no hurry to surrender his side of the bed. 

Our family decided an after dinner treat was a welcomed excuse to get Erin out for a short drive Wednesday evening. The DQ drive thru was more than enough to overwhelm her but she was glad she pushed herself to get out for a few minutes. In truth, we later learned, our stubborn first born had over estimated her progress and was considering going home and back to work by Monday. She needed the reality check. She will likely need to have limitations highlighted frequently before her six week disability ends. 

We got her pathology report and confirming she was free of uterine cancer was an enormous relief. My eyes leaked each time I told someone. This battle is finally over. 

No comments: