Friday, November 20, 2020

Counting Gifts

Ty started e-learning Monday, as decided by his district. My school followed suit today. I spent the week scrambling to assess kindergarteners and prepare lengthy packets of educational materials for the remainder of the semester. It was heartbreaking work. 

Ty is once again thriving as a virtual learner; his teacher and I in regular communication to confirm. Kate is delighted to once again have company throughout her day. They have resumed the friendship gained in quarantine last spring. I am grateful. 


Earlier than usual, I recognized a strong desire to cancel the holidays. I lack the emotional reserves to fake joy this year. Due to motherhood obligations and overall well-being, I resumed documenting gratitude. My mental health necessitates this and more. 

  • golden bridge at sunset 
  • caramel babies with squishy cheeks
  • adult daughters checking in
  • hot tea delivered bedside before the alarm sounds
  • evening walk
  • laughter among co-workers
  • toothless grin
  • early crescent moon on clear night
  • Spiderman on a Google meet
  • knitting lesson with Anna
  • Austin's countdown to visit Mimi
  • A tiny friend exclaiming she was "feeling giggled"
  • Unexpected gifts from my smallest students as they said goodbye for a season
  • Pink sky
  • Virtual shenanigans with kindergarteners who simply do not care about reading lessons. They have far more interesting stories to share. I adore them.
  • Kate's obvious amusement at the animated Grinch movie
  • Five year old recommendation to use the bathroom as an office location for google meets. As amused as I was, I declined.
    Remember when she was sweet?(see message board)


    Even Pip, the hedgehog is ready for Christmas 


The kids drug their tabletop trees out of the attic together. Ready or not, Christmas is coming. 

No comments: