Friday, September 11, 2020

Labor Day Week



Saturday I ran some errands with a friend after a larger meal on the patio as a family. The friend suggested Meijer as our final stop and I decided we must have become official because that is a date location for each of us with our husbands. She howled, thinking the same thing. Adulting is glamorous. 



Miss Kate was a super cooperative model as the kids created a colorful coat. They learned a lot about Joseph and God has a plan for their lives. I'm grateful I had a willing assistant in the class with me as the initial instructions suggested we wrap a child in the streamers. Kate was a much more patient option.


Kate and I started decorating the house for fall but still needed some pumpkins. Our grocery stores hadn't yet carried them so we decided to take a family drive to the local orchard to select a few and get ice cream together. We were stunned to be met with traffic control to aide in parking. Looking at the masses of people gathered, we turned around and made our way back to the local ice cream shoppe instead. 




Monday I held down a deck chair with a cheesy book lacking depth. Oddly, it was precisely what I needed to rest. Greg smoked a brisket and a quiet dinner followed. Alarms were set for Tuesday's wakeup and the reinstatement of routine; the three day break was good.


Ty challenges me nightly to a game of H.O.R.S.E. Despite his ridiculous shots, I hold my own and beat him more often than not. For him, winning doesn't appear to be the goal when there is a chance he can laugh at me running from inside the garage, and spinning in a circle before finally tossing the basketball backward over my head. Fortunately most of his "trick shots" fail to score so I am not often mimicking his antics.  The evening games are a chance to connect and I've grown to look forward to them.


Wednesday evening Erin and I talked on the phone for the first time all week. She shared she told the boyfriend he was in her life because she wanted him there, not because she needed him and she would be just fine without him. This is the same boy she told she had to consider the impact on her life before agreeing to dating him. Whereas we wanted her strong and independent, we also wanted her to be kind. I am not sure where we went wrong on that last part. Dating our daughter isn't for the weak. Then Kate informed us she had a boyfriend. He is a sweet boy from a good family so we were pretty good with it overall. Honestly though, how does one date when they are virtual students? And as I tucked Ty into bed he campaigned once again for a pet spider; a tarantula to be exact. I told him to research how to train it to not bite and get back to me. I wonder why I'm exhausted. 

I had an appointment with my beautician after work today. After she cut off two inches of growth, she braided my hair to convince me I am not too old for cute styles. I think I like it and none of the young adult daughters objected which is a real win. I assure you, they are brutal critics.
Their favorite nephew called to talk about planets this evening. The boy has a large fan club.


Thursday evening Greg mentioned I was quiet. 

"I used all my words in kindergarten today." 

He questioned, "all of them?" 

"Well, all the nice ones anyway."

Greg remained at a safe distance the rest of the evening. He is a smart man.



During the morning drive today, Ty shared his lofty yard sale goals for Saturday. "I want to buy the motorized scooter from Lane for $25. That will leave me $40 to spend on Kendra in case she doesn't have any money." I mentioned saving some for another day. He considered my words for a moment and responded, "this is why people wish they were rich. They want to buy whatever they want at yard sales." By the way, Kendra's mother and I are totally comfortable arranging their marriage. We adore the friendship they have formed and already love the future in-laws. 



No comments: