Friday, May 1, 2020

Week Seven

We kicked off the weekend with a driveway meeting for the neighborhood HOA board. More driveway meetings need to be scheduled. I need my people.



Ty has been requesting a fondue dessert night and was delighted I conceded Saturday. Unfortunately we were already out of fruit for dipping, of course we were. This every two weeks of shopping is wearing on me. So I made rice crispie treats to accompany pretzels and marshmallows. Ty was delighted and no one else complained. Working within limited parameters is becoming a theme.
Speaking of working within parameters, as the end of our groceries were depleted I threw odds and ends together for lunch and everyone was delighted. Just because we didn't have much, didn't mean we couldn't make it presentable.


Sunday we broke social distancing rules and fed our friend and his family as a way to thank him for helping us build our deck. The rainy afternoon was full of laughter, stories and smoked pulled pork thanks to Greg's rainy day ingenuity.

Monday morning I sent Ty in to wake Kate. He came back moments later reporting, "I said coffee, bacon and chocolate chip pancakes but she isn't moving. She might be dead." That afternoon we joined the family who dined with us on Sunday for a hike. The kids were exploring and we hiked over two miles in the sunshine. It was perfect.

Monday was otherwise a tough day. I spent it fighting tears of anger over the unintended consequences of quarantine. My work babies are struggling in ways no five year old should and a friend battling cancer was hospitalized again. As she wrestles with her fate, she is alone and I am frustrated for her. Life is hard enough without well intended governors dictating our elderly and our ill are better off without their support people because less than one percent of people with covid-19 are dying from that virus. The numbers simply don't match the reaction and yet a more balanced response somehow equates a lack of empathy according to the mainstream.


Ty managed to attach his gopro to his helmet for epic video opportunities. I'm just grateful for the helmet. He is outside more than in and so in this season of quarantine, I'm grateful for non-winter weather.

He has been asking to get on the roof for about a year now. We've repeatedly denied his request. The frisbee "accidentally" landed on the roof this week so I consented. This is as far as he made it. The idea was much more appealing from the ground. We still have a frisbee on the roof.



The animals love this. Their people are home all the time and it's brought out some new personality traits in the cat. He has always been personable but he really likes being around us now. That being said, I often think I would like to know how to relax like him. I'm afraid I won't find out this side of heaven.

Makenna says she is a plant mom. Her daisies are growing quickly and she is quite proud. She has ordered them a larger pot, like a good mom whose children are outgrowing their clothes; or something like that.

I was able to meet virtually with a few of my Kindergarten friends this week and it was pure chaos; the absolute best kind. The teacher and I were texting each other comments as we listened to the endless banter about how much it reminded us of our typical mornings in the classroom spent corralling cats. Goodness it was good for my soul to see them.

Kate needs the letters FBI on her phone. I don't know why. She can't explain it. These are strange times.



Friday our storage chest arrived and Kate helped me assemble it. It's the perfect location for chair cushions given how many times a season we walk them around to the garage to keep out of storms.

Our week wrapped on the porch swing with ice cream.

No comments: