Saturday, January 11, 2020

Back To School

Routine is always welcome in my world and getting back to school helps fuel my need for structured days; however, balancing that with a commitment every evening made for a pretty exhausting week.


On Monday, Ty went back to school and I worked a few hours in the Kindergarten classroom to insure as much as possible was completed ahead of our students returning Tuesday. Afterward Kate and I ran errands together in the sunshine. We both felt refreshed being out and about sans umbrellas and coats. She was scheduled for bible study that evening but ended up canceling last minute because Greg and I were called to the emergency room in Louisville to be with Erin. After a short couple of hours, she was discharged with a costochondritis diagnosis. In a nutshell, she has inflammation in the cartilage between her lungs and ribs caused by a virus. She was frightened by the intensity of chest pain and the duration but will be fine in a few more days. But honest to goodness, my thought on the way to the ER was, "it's always something." Because as it turns out, it is always something.

Tuesday my friends returned to school full of exciting stories. I missed those little stinkers and their teachers too. That afternoon we sprung a needed haircut on the boy who took it in stride despite his strong dislike of such activities. His name was brought up in the lounge and the teachers who met Kate on Monday noticed how vastly different my children were created; one like his father and the other like me. In both cases, I choose to believe the observations were complimentary.

I spent a fair amount of time this week negotiating a plan for Kate to resume full days with doctor ordered restrictions. As it turns out, everyone understands except the choir director who believes his class should be my top priority. We are having a difference of opinion and it isn't ending on friendly terms. Middle school drama isn't limited to middle school students it seems. After countless emails, we are meeting face to face Monday after school.

My bible study this week started a discussion about Sarah and Abraham. God promised a son and after fourteen years, they assumed God wanted them to take matters into their own hands and Hagar, Sarah's servant, produced Ishmael. It would be another thirteen years before Sarah would give birth to Isaac. This on the heels of a church message about faith and peace arriving when we relinquish control and I suspect God is once again reminding me Greg will find work in His timing alone. I am not in control and in wanting to do something, literally anything, I am likely reacting and not prayerfully responding. Either that or I am not hitching a ride on the the life preserver God is sending by means of fulltime job offers with health benefits. I am faithfully believing God has a plan that will be better for our family longterm.

However, Makenna's friend lost her mother to cancer this week and Erin's friend found out her cancer is back just three years after beating it the first time. Alex turned twenty six Thursday and is by all accounts, not able to get breast cancer at all, much less twice. Life is simply not fair and I am working a lot harder to see God at work in the muck.

Kate pushed through a full school day Tuesday and ended up in bed, really sick for the remainder of the evening but managed most of the day Wednesday and Thursday. She was able to sleep off first headaches each morning but the second ones put up a bigger fight. She did bounce back quickly after a nap at home though. This healing process is still needing daily tweaking. Friday she started her day with physical therapy and never made it to school because she was so rundown. Her therapist said he has discovered another way to support her through the stress of a busy middle school. We are seeking additional support through a 504 plan at school so a certain choir director is unable to fail her for not participating and I can spend energy where it likely matters more.

On Wednesday, after a difficult morning, I challenged Ty to list three things he found to be happy about at school that day. After school, he bounded out to the car and blurted,  "I didn't throw up at school. I didn't pass out at school and Mr. R didn't hurt anyone at school." I laughed, "Mr. R helped you make your list, didn't he?" And the boy grinned from ear to ear as he responded, "yep". I'll take it. And for the record, Mr. R only has to refrain from smacking grown ups. He's awesome with kids.

Friday I canceled my trip to Dayton to see friends because I was exhausted and Erin still has Greg's car because her car repairs were more extensive than originally thought. I was wearing myself out trying to navigate how to make sure all the balls could remain in the air while I was three hours away and ultimately called it when the wind and rain forecast indicated my drive would be stressful. So I convinced my friends in Kindergarten it was National Go To Bed Early Friday and I hope no one had plans because one little rule follower had a lot of clarifying questions about how this holiday works. The parents either love me or are pretty irritated with me this weekend.

Within an hour of me getting off work, it was clear I needed to be home and not on the road to Dayton. Erin fell at work, weak and disoriented and we needed to pick her and Greg's car up and get her back into bed. Between the virus, her class load, both jobs and failure to eat well, she is not bouncing back from the illness well at all.

Did I mention, it's always something?







No comments: