Monday, October 21, 2019

Out of the Darkness Walk

Kate joined me on a girl's weekend in Dayton with my friend, Kristil who met us there from Atlanta. Kristil was there to support a friend who lost her daughter to suicide. I was there to support Kristil. Other than the somberness of the occasion, we had a delightful weekend reminiscing together. Kate was an awesome travel companion, as usual.

While we were away, Ty invited Greg to what he calls a "Last to Sleep Challenge". He had me pick up snacks in preparation and smack talked all week. Greg, convinced his years on third shift gave him the advantage allowed the boy to continue to increase the prize for winning. Once I learned he believed he would be shopping during his "24 hours of whatever I want" reward, I was cheering for the old man.

In the end, because Greg had mowed, changed the oil and been up since six in the morning and Ty had been up Friday night at a sleepover, Greg requested they postpone the event. Ty ate the snacks and declared himself victor.

Makenna was as shocked as I was to receive a package of photos after taking the required school picture. Neither of us knew what to do with them. I sent my parents each a wallet with the school year, my age and "kindergarten" written on the back because it made me laugh. As it turns out, it made them laugh too. However, my mom put it on Facebook on my birthday so I won't make that mistake again. But Makenna got points for most creative use of photos. She cut them out and stuck them all over the house. We've found them in tea bags, coffee filters, my planner and on items we often use. The banner image with the word "welcome" was stuck on the wall opposite the toilet in the bathroom. She replaced other people's faces with her own in family photos and the best one had to be the back up camera on my car. She says I won't locate some until we move. She absolutely wins. There is never a dull moment around here.

Ty has been having trouble with a young lady at school who wants his constant attention. She positions herself to be seated with him in all classes and lunch. He has been stressed for several weeks and I have repeatedly encouraged him to ask his teacher for assistance getting some space from her. I know the teacher will support a new seating chart if he asks. He prefers I handle it but I won't because has to find his voice. So on Friday he informed me he worked it out himself. He told the girl he is moving to Florida when he is a grownup but thinks he will actually move to Texas so she won't be able to find him. I laughed as I asked if moving in ten years is easier than asking a teacher for help. Apparently it is. This boy. I have no words.

No comments: