Sunday, November 29, 2015

And So It Begins

Erin had to work the day after Thanksgiving and was a bit sad her time with Grandma and Grandpa would be shortened as result. So we kidnapped her for lunch before Lauren and Makenna ventured into the mall and the rest of us went to see the new Peanuts movie. The movie was pretty cute. I text my sister-in-law on our way out of the theater to let her know I thought her family would enjoy it because Brad is a big fan of Charlie Brown. Jessica text back they were already in the car on the way to the theater because great minds think alike, obviously.






After Mom and Dad left, we warmed left-overs for dinner and then started to decorate for Christmas. I have scaled back enough I honestly believed this process would quick and painless. That was my mistake. After a few hours spent finding a broken bulb on a brand new pre-lit tree and a makeshift tree stand for said tree was created so it would fit inside the bucket I intended to use, I am happy with the results. The little tree is exactly what I hoped it would be. Ty says it is so pretty, Santa may take it back to the North Pole with him.


I plan to leave the trees outside for the duration of winter since they offer a little light to contrast the upcoming grey days. I love the simplicity of the wooden snowflake on the door and red and white pillow on the swing. I believe the look welcomes winter, not just Christmas. The little mailbox by the front door serves not only as a place to countdown the days until Christmas (a job Kate will take very seriously) but will also contain all our holiday greetings this next month.



My grandma's nativity remains the center of our mantel and the little white nativity (displayed on Greg's childhood bible) I have loved since childhood in my mom's house are the two decorations I look the most forward to setting out each year. The kids can't wait for our giant Santa but most everything else is still in the attic. The older I get, the less I enjoy clutter.

Erin and I tackled small business Saturday in our favorite local shops where a new dress for her was purchased and new-to-me purse was finally invested in after drooling over it for a month. The shop owner laughed when I walked it because she knew her 25% off sale would bring me back in to look at it once again. She's good. But more than new dresses and purses, it was pretty sweet to spend the day with Erin while Greg yelled at the Ohio State/Michigan game at home. I just saw this quote on Pinterest and couldn't agree more. "Hanging out with your grown up kids is like visiting the best parts of yourself."

1 comment:

A Mom to Two Lil' Ones said...

Love all the Christmas decorations!