Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Tomorrow

I took the kids to the library today  because we needed out of the house. We played and left with a stack of books covering everything from sign language to origami to volcanoes. We added poetry books on CD to listen to in the van and a really cool book about the Arctic. We returned home for lunch and Kate dove into the book about the Arctic where she then planned a research paper about penguins. One thing led to another and the next thing I knew, I was putting off my plan to clean the house until tomorrow. We went to the zoo. It was a beautiful, sunny, 50 degree day which is a rare occurrence in January, to say the least. We had the zoo to ourselves, literally only seeing two other families the entire afternoon. It was perfect and provided the fresh air and exercise we all needed. Ty burned a ton of pent up energy and I felt relieved I was able to look past my to do list in order to live in the moment. It was good for me to say, "I will do it tomorrow". Most often that phrase exasperates me. "Why put off until tomorrow what can be accomplished today" is more-so my motto.

 
If I had ignored the little voice in my head, we would have missed prime learning. We would have missed a beautiful afternoon enjoying God's creation. We would have missed experiences that matter rather than the endless to do list at the house. I can't let go of everything; however, moments like this are treasures needed to break up the mundane.
Observation is vital for important research

Who needs a desk?

The subjects were feisty today, adding to their charm.

Meet our tour guide. We were in good hands since we had no particular agenda beyond the penguin exhibit and to his credit, we made it out. Eventually.

Squirrels were the highlight this visit. Of course.
 
We went to the zoo today and it was good.

No comments: