Sunday, February 26, 2012

God's in the Details.....

Friday night around 9:30 I got a frantic call from Robyn who was in Memphis, Tennessee. She asked me to go to Kosair Children's Hospital to support Brian, who was on his way there with Colby. He'd had a seizure. Greg and Lauren were at the Purity Ball and Erin was sent home from school sick that day, so she was at home with my little ones who were in bed. On a typical Friday night, jumping into the van to support a friend would have required me locating someone to watch my younger kids as Greg would be at work and the teens would be out with friends. I arrived at Kosair within 20 minutes of the call, almost immediately after Colby. He was still seizing. His little body was surrounded by a team of experts who were doing all they could to pull him out of it. Brian was calm and on the phone with Robyn, who was literally out of her mind with worry. A friend was driving her seven hours to the hospital. Colby's seizure lasted an hour. It was the most horrendous thing I have ever witnessed. I have never felt so helpless and spent the half hour I watched them work on Colby pleading with God to stop this thing. Once he came out of it, Robyn shared her belief he was reacting to his MMR vaccine from the Friday prior. Robyn is an infectious disease pediatrician and vaccines are an area of expertise for her. The ER doctors think a virus and the sudden onset of a fever caused it. Colby spent two nights at Kosair, had multiple tests run and has been discharged with no expectation that this will ever happen again. Thank God.
Once the seizure ended and we were finally able to hold him, Brian and I started talking about all the ways God was clearly in control. It could have been much worse. Colby's seizure started at a high school basketball game. Brian is a Campus Life minister for that school and wanted to support his teens by attending the game, even though it would have Colby up past bedtime. During the third period of the game, an ambulance was called to aid in an elderly person's medical issue. Two ambulances arrived for that call. One stayed. Brian was able to run to the EMT personnel as soon as the seizure started. As result, Colby was immediately given oxygen, preventing any brain damage.  We also realized that had Robyn been in town, Colby would have been in his bed when this occurred. No one would have realized he needed help. God is in the details. We would never want Colby to go through this but God can use it to reveal He has this precious boy in His hands. He is in control.

2 comments:

angel0199 said...

I have experienced many situations where being out of my routine put me in the right place at the right time. I wonder how many times God has provided all the details and we just don't notice? I am so glad Colby is ok and that you were able to be there for your friends.

Baughman Family said...

Sarah, you are right. It is cool when He reveals it to us though. The most significant one in our life was the day my daughters started bickering while in line to ride Superman at Six Flags. I was so frustrated with them that we left our guests to finish that last ride and headed to the car. They opted out of waiting and joined us. I was so irritated and embarrassed. Within a few minutes, that line snapped taking off that poor girls' foot. You just never know.....we could have been on the ride or even witnessed that horror. We didn't even know it happened until the news hit that night.