Sunday, September 5, 2010

Winds of Change

I love the fall....really love it. I love the brisk mornings with a good cup of tea, the cooler evenings that require a sweatshirt for the start of my evening walk, the gorgeous trees that make the mundane errands an event and the bright pumpkins that pop up all over town in between mum and straw displays. I just love it. A friend of Erin's wrote an article for her high school newspaper this week that talked about how much she fights change. It was very well written and I was left agreeing with her. I also am very much a creature of habit and don't care to have my world change. It is typically in a season of change that I grow but I tend to enter it kicking and screaming! But,the fall is always welcomed as I am ready for the routine school offers after a lazy summer, the crock pot comfort meals, baking without roasting in my kitchen and the ease of jeans and long sleeved tee shirts. It just fits me. Casual, comfortable and colorful. We finally got the cool front I have been asking God to send. I am drinking in as much fresh air as I can this weekend as we are expected to be in the 90's again this week. Just the sneak peak refreshes me. It had been a week full of unwelcomed changes here though.....Erin's 8 month relationship with Brad ended and she isn't pleased with the decision. They were so mature in the way they maintained the relationship so I expect we'll be seeing him again in the future. They are both responsible, intelligent and driven kids. The intensity of this school year so far has made all social aspects difficult to balance. Erin's dealing with a few underwhelming teachers. Tenure should not mean crazy people get to stay employed where they can impact the lives of 180 kids per semester. I am working with a chiropractor three days a week to get my back straightened out. The x-rays were a bit frightening. I have arthritis and degeneration in my lower spine. It was likely caused by pregnancy and babies on my hip. Given that we are still in the "baby on the hip" phase of life, I will be continuing my treatment despite the cost! At this point, it is costing me to go to work....grrr. So, back to a few blessings.....


















Ty was busy moving rocks from one landscape bed to another. Kate was thrilled to have temperatures low enough that she could wear her new fall outfit....We snapped these before heading out to get Erin from work. She had to teach makeup classes for three hours yesterday morning since the gym will be closed Monday for Labor Day. Afterward, we headed out to find her some shoes and stopped at Aldi for oatmeal...just a quick stop....right? Now, a little background. I didn't want to renew my cell phone contract given that I don't need it, we are trying to cut expenses and frankly, don't like having a "tracking device". Well, Greg's safety wisdom prevailed when he pointed out that I will be leaving for work in the dark on cold mornings while he is on his way home from work. If I were to have van trouble, he wants me to be able to reach him. Since the van will be 8 years old next month, he is right. I don't like losing but he's right. So, I renewed my contract this past week and got a new phone because the old one had blank screens and could only be used in limited capacity. (Note: cellphones may make good teethers/distractions for a minute but it is not good for the phone) Anyway, I left my cell phone at home on the charger because it was more likely I would need it for church later when Greg and I touch base between services about where to meet with Ty's check in information. Enter Aldi again....I left Erin in the van with Kate and Ty since it was only going to take a minute. They requested the radio be left on. It was a gorgeous day so I left the windows down and let them listen to the radio. Aldi was busy so it took a few additional minutes. When I returned, the van would not start. I spent 25 minutes trying. If I had a cell phone, I don't know who I would have called given that Greg sleeps through a ringing phone (Typically a good thing). We were trying to formulate a plan, trying to remember ANYONE'S phone number when God sent an angel in the form of a lady from church. She loaded us up in her car, stopped at Walmart, and then took us home where we were able to wake Greg and get back to Aldi. It failed to start. Ty was exhausted, hungry and tired of being confined to his seat. We headed to church to teach when I ran into Jennifer and she took my kids into church, covered my class and offered different jumper cables. I literally prayed the entire way back to Aldi, where the van finally started. Getting back to church we found that others had stepped in to help comfort Ty by giving him milk. Greg took him home to nap and I took my class back. It is fun to look back and count all the ways God watched over us but as Greg said, "it is always something"!

2 comments:

Jill May said...

I am sad that Erin and Brad have split up, but maybe this will be a time of growth for both of them. I liked how they handled their relationship and their accountability to God. I hope that the chiropractor can help your back, and doesn't affect your working too badly. it sounds like you have had a week of events like we have had, and I agree, I don't like change! Unfortunatly, we are in a season of it, and I don't like it one bit, I am kicking and screaming about it, too! Love ya, my friend!!!

A Mom to Two Lil' Ones said...

I, too, LOVE fall!!!!! It is my favorite time of year.

Sounds like we have both had the kind of week that warrants a big glass of tea, nice walk and grown up conversations :). Hope to see you soon!